GMAT Prep for Med Students - Tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PerpetualPupil

Git'r'Done
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

I am a first year med student up in the North East, and I am interested in applying to our MD-MBA program.

Does anyone have any tips regarding GMAT prep? Anyone use any self-study resources and found them useful (eg. Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc.)?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I took the Kaplan formal course, this bumped my actual GMAT score (sat for the exam 2x) from 80th or so percentile to 97th. 90+ is required for top programs. GMAT is a rapid-fire exam so speed and familiarity with both the test and all testable materials is crucial. math and english are high school level, but I'd definitely suggest reviewing both well before the exam.

Also had read the princeton book; it seemed pretty helpful regarding "gmat thinking".

Members don't see this ad :)
Like the MCAT, there is no need to take a course. Assuming you did well on that test, the GMAT is far easier as is self-study for it.

Be sure you get the OG (Official Guide, from GMAC - on Amazon), and my favorites were the Manhattan GMAT books. Check out the strategy forums on Beatthegmat.com for more detailed study info. Veritas works, as does Kaplan, but there's really no need to pour the money down the drain.