GMO and OIS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunwayModel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a REQUIREMENT that you have have to do OIS BEFORE starting GMO, no exceptions? Or can it be done anytime?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a REQUIREMENT that you have have to do OIS BEFORE starting GMO, no exceptions? Or can it be done anytime?

It would be a good idea, since you are expected by your command to be at least somewhat familiar with Navy standards, practices and traditions before serving as a GMO. I guess my question is what reason would you possibly give for not going to OIS before reporting as a GMO?

My internship ends past the summer as I started internship late due to medical school requirements hence, me having to start after the dates of OIS.

Members don't see this ad :)
My internship ends past the summer as I started internship late due to medical school requirements hence, me having to start after the dates of OIS.

Most likely you will have to do OIS before doing your GMO/FS/DMO tour. I know someone who went to OIS before starting DMO training. And trust me; it was not optional…

OIS is required prior to reporting to your first duty station.

There is a shorter two week ois in pensacola that they generally send people to if there is a time crunch.

Last I heard the 2 week course does not exist anymore. You need to go to OIS before your GMO and trust me you will be glad you went. You do not want to be the brand new DOC showing up to your unit without knowing anything about the Navy. Plus OIS has classes running the whole year not just in the summer. You will have a chance to go.

Last I heard the 2 week course does not exist anymore. You need to go to OIS before your GMO and trust me you will be glad you went. You do not want to be the brand new DOC showing up to your unit without knowing anything about the Navy. Plus OIS has classes running the whole year not just in the summer. You will have a chance to go.

Well according to the February 2006 Fast facts, it is now a 4 week course and it does run only in the summer/fall. For 2006 the dates were:

"FY06 OIS class convening dates are approaching and we are requesting that you start submitting your Annual Training (AT) applications through NROWS to attend. The OIS dates for 2006 are the following:

• 22MAY06-23JUN06
• 05JUN06-07JUL06
• 26JUN06-28JUL06
• 10JUL06-11AUG06"

Yes those are the summer classes available but there are also OIS classes that run in the fall, winter, and spring. Fast facts just releases the summer ones because that is when we are on summer break. At least they had year round classes last year, someone can correct me if that is not true anymore.

Yes those are the summer classes available but there are also OIS classes that run in the fall, winter, and spring. Fast facts just releases the summer ones because that is when we are on summer break. At least they had year round classes last year, someone can correct me if that is not true anymore.

You are correct. They have classes throughout the year which are attended by other staff officers as well. (JAG, MSC, NC, etc.)

Everyone goes to OIS now. There is only 1 and it is in Newport. Be prepared to buy expensive uniforms, pay for chow (bring cash), and shine shoes. You will learn what enlistment is like. When you report to your first real command your chiefs will help you become a good JO.
You will go when they send you and it could be at any time. I had just moved and found out 2 days later I was going to OIS.
Some people fall through the cracks but not as many as before. Good luck.
Remember "I don't want to hear or see ..... does not mean you can't have it. Ask a mustang

There are OIS classes throughout the year. The ones in the summer tend to be most convenient.