gmo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trashman1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone can give me a description of a general medical officer's job in the navy. I know the general idea that they are put in place to serve a flight squadron or they are with a marine recon unit or something else, but I am having trouble finding out the kinds of things they are doing. Do they train and fight/go out on missions with a recon unit, or are they just their personal doctor? Any answers like this would be helpful... thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if someone can give me a description of a general medical officer's job in the navy. I know the general idea that they are put in place to serve a flight squadron or they are with a marine recon unit or something else, but I am having trouble finding out the kinds of things they are doing. Do they train and fight/go out on missions with a recon unit, or are they just their personal doctor? Any answers like this would be helpful... thanks

General Medical Officers serve as the primary care physicians for operational units. They are responsible for maintaining the health and readiness of the unit to include assuring immunizations and routine exams are up to date. When the unit goes to the field or deploys, the GMO goes with the unit. They do all training that is appropriate for a Medical Officer. The training is dependant on the unit you are stationed with and your interest in that particular training. Medical Officers are non-combatants. We do not go out on patrols, we are not to engage in combat activies and we are restricted from firing our weapons unless it is in our own defense or the defense of our patients. This does not mean you are not where the fighting is. During the invasion of Iraq, we had aid stations that were traveling with the units.

Your most likely forward assignment in an area of hostilities as a GMO is at a battalion aid station, whenever that type of receiving point is being used. GMOs will not go on operational combat assignment with small units; that is the job of enlisted Navy corpsmen, who are assigned to Marine combat units.