Gmo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdm2fly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into HPSP right now and was wondering if I could get some info on it.
What is a GMO and why would it increase the amount of payback time?
Also, what's the difference between being a flight surgeon and a normal surgeon?

Any info would be great. THanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'll put up what I know for sure and let others take the rest. :D

GMO = General Medical Officer. As far as I know, they are doctors who have completed an internship (PGY-1) but have not specialized and gone through a residency.

Flight surgeon = Doctor who takes care of pilots and other aircrew. They are NOT related general surgeons in any sense other than by name. AFAIK, they are usually also at the same place in their training as GMOs, but there are some 'senior' flight surgeons who have done their residencies (correct me if I'm wrong please!). Additionally, Navy FSs have to complete Aviation Preflight Indoctrination, learn some basics about aircraft, and then fly (not solo) so many hours a month. I believe Army/AF FSs do not have to go through nearly as much additional aviation training and don't have any flight time upkeep. Fun link I know of since I'm interested in Navy FS: http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/Academics/flightsurgeon.htm

I'm in the same boat as you. I'll put up what I know for sure and let others take the rest. :D

GMO = General Medical Officer. As far as I know, they are doctors who have completed an internship (PGY-1) but have not specialized and gone through a residency.

Flight surgeon = Doctor who takes care of pilots and other aircrew. They are NOT related general surgeons in any sense other than by name. AFAIK, they are usually also at the same place in their training as GMOs, but there are some 'senior' flight surgeons who have done their residencies (correct me if I'm wrong please!). Additionally, Navy FSs have to complete Aviation Preflight Indoctrination, learn some basics about aircraft, and then fly (not solo) so many hours a month. I believe Army/AF FSs do not have to go through nearly as much additional aviation training and don't have any flight time upkeep. Fun link I know of since I'm interested in Navy FS: http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/Academics/flightsurgeon.htm

GMO is done btwn PGY-1 (internship) and PGY-2+. Not everyone does it. It counts towards payback of scholarship and does not accrue time.

Members don't see this ad :)
GMO is done btwn PGY-1 (internship) and PGY-2+. Not everyone does it. It counts towards payback of scholarship and does not accrue time.

[Bolds mine]

Most do not do GMO out of choice. If residency training is not offered immediately following internship or a full deferment is not given, it becomes a Hobson's choice.

What's PGY?

[Bolds mine]

Most do not do GMO out of choice. If residency training is not offered immediately following internship or a full deferment is not given, it becomes a Hobson's choice.
A question that's been nagging me: can you do a GMO/FS year WITHOUT doing an internship? That seems to be crazy-dangerous to entrust someone's health care to a rank novice, but not too much would surprise me.

A question that's been nagging me: can you do a GMO/FS year WITHOUT doing an internship? That seems to be crazy-dangerous to entrust someone's health care to a rank novice, but not too much would surprise me.

NO! You have to be a fully licensed physician (general practitioner) in order to be a GMO. The minimum requirements to be a licensed physician at any state are: USMLE STEP I, II and III plus 1 year of post graduate education at an accredited institution (internship).

On the other hand, deploying docs with just a PGY-1 still a pretty crazy idea...

NO! You have to be a fully licensed physician (general practitioner) in order to be a GMO. The minimum requirements to be a licensed physician at any state are: USMLE STEP I, II and III plus 1 year of post graduate education at an accredited institution (internship).

On the other hand, deploying docs with just a PGY-1 still a pretty crazy idea...
Perfect. Thanks for the insight.