Go big or cop out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akaet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need your guy's experience and advice. This is going to be my second time taking the mcat. I studied last summer and simply could not break 30 and ended up with a sub 20s score on the real thing.

My retake is on 9/6 and have finally broke 30 on aamc 9 with a break down of 12-9-10
However, I just took aamc 11 and got a 10-8-10

Prior to taking those two, I did some reviewing after taking a few tprs and aamc 7,8,5, and 4.
On these tests I have averaging about 25-27, while around 24s on the TPRs.

My question is what do I do come test day? Do I pray I kick ass or do I void? I know it is risky to take it, but at the same time I am confident I can improve from my last score as I will be content with a score 30 and above. I know there are options of me taking the January one, but studying during the school year as you know is always difficult. I hope to be able to apply by next June as well.

Any feedback if welcomed. Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you ever do the assessment that AAMC offers with practice 4? That would help direct you to where you're making your errors. And remember that the AAMC tests are much more realistic to the real thing as compared to the PR tests. Generally speaking, I think you should look to see where you are making your errors so you know to be really alert when you encounter those question types. Another thing to steer you in the 9/6 direction: you've now tken all the available AAMC tests, so you're probably as ready as you'll ever be.

If you feel that you need a 30 you may want to void and retake in January, but also evaluate your study habits and try to find things to improve upon.

If you feel like bordering a 30 would be fine then just study hard and take it.

Either way, Good Luck!

Ill be happy with a 30, but im not just sure if another sub 30 score would hurt me more considering it is a gamble to take it since ive only hit it 1 time this whole summer.

I'm in almost the exact same spot as you, I'm taking the test on 9/7 and averaging sub-30 when I really neeeed a 30+ to overcome a lower GPA.

I mean no ones to say I can't get into an MD program with a sub-30 but I really want it. So I don't know if I should void or not especially since I'm doing a post-bacc year to boost my GPA right now it will be hard to study for the MCAT :(