1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Go to Grad school first, apply next cycle, or try and find a postbac?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by allinthecookies, Aug 9, 2011.

1. allinthecookies

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice on what to do.

First here's my info:

Undergraduate degree: BS Cell Biology
    cGPA: 3.02
    sGPA: 2.99

Ouch I know, I went from 'ok' with a 3.4 and then it tanked after some personal problems and I stopped paying attention or really functioning besides squeaking by in school. I have one year left but I still don't think even with straight A's I could get it up high enough to apply anywhere really, so I have NOT taken the MCAT yet.

I have 20 hours each shadowing an Anesthesiologist and a Pediatrician, both MDs. I'm planning on trying to shadow a DO in the upcoming winter.

I volunteered in the ER of a hospital for 1.5 years, August '09-March'11 and accumulated about 250 hours.

I have also tutored lower-income children in English and Math.

I was wondering what would be best, trying to find a postbacc program that will take me, or should I get my MHA or MPH and then apply for medical school? I know it'd be nothing short of a miracle for me to get into ANY med school with these grades unless I killed the MCAT. Advice?

Thank you!

EDIT: Forgot to add: 1 Semester research in Organic Chemistry (No publications) & 1 Semester research in Evolutionary Biology (No publications)

#1 allinthecookies, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Just do retakes and apply to D.O.

4. allinthecookies

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I only 'failed' 2 classes, one I'm already planning on retaking and the other one was a lab. The rest were just C's...and lots of them.

5. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Then retake some of those.

6. MedAdComMD

Removed 2+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    We only care about your uGPA - so you should do a 2-year post-bacc to get your GPA hopefully around a 3.4 range.