1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Go to Grad school first, apply next cycle, or try and find a postbac?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by allinthecookies, Aug 9, 2011.

1. allinthecookies

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice on what to do.

First here's my info:

Undergraduate degree: BS Cell Biology
    cGPA: 3.02
    sGPA: 2.99

Ouch I know, I went from 'ok' with a 3.4 and then it tanked after some personal problems and I stopped paying attention or really functioning besides squeaking by in school. I have one year left but I still don't think even with straight A's I could get it up high enough to apply anywhere really, so I have NOT taken the MCAT yet.

I have 20 hours each shadowing an Anesthesiologist and a Pediatrician, both MDs. I'm planning on trying to shadow a DO in the upcoming winter.

I volunteered in the ER of a hospital for 1.5 years, August '09-March'11 and accumulated about 250 hours.

I have also tutored lower-income children in English and Math.

I was wondering what would be best, trying to find a postbacc program that will take me, or should I get my MHA or MPH and then apply for medical school? I know it'd be nothing short of a miracle for me to get into ANY med school with these grades unless I killed the MCAT. Advice?

Thank you!

EDIT: Forgot to add: 1 Semester research in Organic Chemistry (No publications) & 1 Semester research in Evolutionary Biology (No publications)

#1 allinthecookies, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Just do retakes and apply to D.O.

4. allinthecookies

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I only 'failed' 2 classes, one I'm already planning on retaking and the other one was a lab. The rest were just C's...and lots of them.

5. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Then retake some of those.

6. MedAdComMD

Removed 2+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    We only care about your uGPA - so you should do a 2-year post-bacc to get your GPA hopefully around a 3.4 range.