Go to Grad school first, apply next cycle, or try and find a postbac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allinthecookies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice on what to do.

First here's my info:

Undergraduate degree: BS Cell Biology
cGPA: 3.02
sGPA: 2.99

Ouch I know, I went from 'ok' with a 3.4 and then it tanked after some personal problems and I stopped paying attention or really functioning besides squeaking by in school. I have one year left but I still don't think even with straight A's I could get it up high enough to apply anywhere really, so I have NOT taken the MCAT yet.

I have 20 hours each shadowing an Anesthesiologist and a Pediatrician, both MDs. I'm planning on trying to shadow a DO in the upcoming winter.

I volunteered in the ER of a hospital for 1.5 years, August '09-March'11 and accumulated about 250 hours.

I have also tutored lower-income children in English and Math.

I was wondering what would be best, trying to find a postbacc program that will take me, or should I get my MHA or MPH and then apply for medical school? I know it'd be nothing short of a miracle for me to get into ANY med school with these grades unless I killed the MCAT. Advice?

Thank you!

EDIT: Forgot to add: 1 Semester research in Organic Chemistry (No publications) & 1 Semester research in Evolutionary Biology (No publications)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just do retakes and apply to D.O.

I only 'failed' 2 classes, one I'm already planning on retaking and the other one was a lab. The rest were just C's...and lots of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
We only care about your uGPA - so you should do a 2-year post-bacc to get your GPA hopefully around a 3.4 range.