Goal to apply by?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1040417

In a normal cycle when should one apply by the latest if they are a mediocre applicant? I am hoping to pump as many EC hours as I can before applying and planning on taking the latest MCAT date I can for the next cycle. For MD and DO would be nice.

Members don't see this ad.

Both applications (AMCAS and AACOMAS) allow you to project your hours into the future if you plan to continue the activity, so I wouldn't worry about cramming in hours before you submit. Submit as early as you can, particularly if you're a middle-lower stat applicant. Keep in mind the time it will take for your MCAT score report to come in (about a month) and your transcripts to be verified.

Reactions: 1 user
Mediocre is general at best. However, I would say that if you are TRULY mediocre applicant which by my standards is probably something along the lines of less than a 500, less than a 3.5 cGPA & sGPA, with some combination of less than 1000 clinical hours, 250 volunteering hours, 50 shadowing hours or close to these numbers, then my first advice would be don't apply and my second advice would be before October 1st but preferably before September 1st.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Both applications (AMCAS and AACOMAS) allow you to project your hours into the future if you plan to continue the activity, so I wouldn't worry about cramming in hours before you submit. Submit as early as you can, particularly if you're a middle-lower stat applicant. Keep in mind the time it will take for your MCAT score report to come in (about a month) and your transcripts to be verified.
Hey! I was actually told by AACOMAS not to project my hours. OP, maybe check into this before you project them on your app!

Hey! I was actually told by AACOMAS not to project my hours. OP, maybe check into this before you project them on your app!
I may not project for AACOMAS and just apply a little later than AAMCAS since their cycle is longer. My in-state DO school has some bias for in-state residents so I am hoping that carries some weight.

EDIT: We will see. Hopefully have good hours by then.

Earlier the better. If you're applying 2021, you have plenty of time to prepare, so prepare to have all your stuff in by the first day you're allowed to. Can it help? Yes. Can it hurt? No. That's all there is to it.

Reactions: 1 users
I may not project for AACOMAS and just apply a little later than AAMCAS since their cycle is longer. My in-state DO school has some bias for in-state residents so I am hoping that carries some weight.

EDIT: We will see. Hopefully have good hours by then.
Sounds good. I'm pretty sure actually that you cannot project AACOMAS hours, so that's definitely a good move. Best of luck!