Going back to Anesthesia, any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted880510

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
regarding anesthesia - can you go back to your original residency program and shadow for a week?

regarding pain - does the anesthesiology group you joined have some doctors doing pain? if so, can you ask that group if you can do a day a week of pain?

Will you be doing your own cases or supervising? Have you been open with the group about being nervous? If its supervision, then you could basically doing a mini-refresher residency with some of the stronger docs in the group.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve gone a few years without doing anesthesia a few times in my career. First day is hard and then it’s automatic. Go in and follow a MD around for a couple of days to familiarize yourself with the EMR and associated nonsense

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve done this. It comes back fast. Honestly the worst part is the EMR, charting, whatever awful drug dispensing torture device is currently installed in the ORs and center core/pacu. Also the complete lack of respect and being called hey anesthesia.

Agreed. It's not that difficult to go back to OR anesthesia. The challenges are primarily logistics/workflow more so than knowledge/skill based. There may be some new drugs or cocktails to get used to but generally you just need to learn the local cookbook and review your emergency scenarios.

I don’t think it has been that common because of money historically. Pain paid very very well.

I feel like that has changed now. Anesthesia seems to pay way better than pain, so I suspect this will happen more and more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently changed gigs from 100% pain to 3 days pain and 1 OB call per week at a new place. Don't sweat it. Its like riding a bicycle. You'll be fine.

Most likely hospital will want you to do some supervised time anyway to get credentialed when they realize you haven't tubed anyone in over a year.

Biggest downer is the hospital politics and over-complicated EMR with attached clipboard nurses. Best upshot is that when a case is done, its 100% done. No more paperwork and billing/auth issues. It's actually rather refreshing.

And btw, Suggamadex is a game changer. It's like cheating.

I recently changed gigs from 100% pain to 3 days pain and 1 OB call per week at a new place. Don't sweat it. Its like riding a bicycle. You'll be fine.

Most likely hospital will want you to do some supervised time anyway to get credentialed when they realize you haven't tubed anyone in over a year.

Biggest downer is the hospital politics and over-complicated EMR with attached clipboard nurses. Best upshot is that when a case is done, its 100% done. No more paperwork and billing/auth issues. It's actually rather refreshing.

And btw, Suggamadex is a game changer. It's like cheating.

thanks for the info. i guess im worried about the difficult airway, difficult/hard to get spinal, or missing the occasional A-line. I guess i cant be too critical on myself and do my best!

I mean if CRNAs can do it how hard can it really be? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users