Going back to residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeerMe

Reaction score
Hey all,

My situation sucks. I’ve been unemployed for a year. I was let go by my previous company and have been having trouble landing a job. Been doing interviews but man, they always say we chose someone else who matches closest to our needs BS.

I’m thinking about applying for residencies now. I graduated from school in 2015 and went straight to work so idk if going back to residency will make me a weird applicant. Those who work in selecting residents, what do you think of this?

Did anyone else go back to do this after working as a pharmacist? Tips? Where should I start?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you worked with a job coach or recruiter to figure out why you are getting passed over now and why you were let go? I'd try that route first; your chances of a residency are very slim based on ASHP stats

PGY1 Applicants: matched unmatched total
2019 Graduates 3667 1808 5475 67% match rate
Pre-2019 Graduates 155 307 462 33% match rate

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask why you got let go? Where you fired or did you get downsized?

Reactions: 1 user
I went back after only 1 year. 4 years is going to really stand out. Unemployment is really going to stand out.

Are you tied to a city or region? How far can you move?

I’m not tied to a city. I got my license from a neighboring state as well. It’s hard to apply out of state that you don’t have a license for yet? idk if I should spend so much money on licensing when a job isn’t guaranteed

Have you worked with a job coach or recruiter to figure out why you are getting passed over now and why you were let go? I'd try that route first; your chances of a residency are very slim based on ASHP stats

PGY1 Applicants: matched unmatched total
2019 Graduates 3667 1808 5475 67% match rate
Pre-2019 Graduates 155 307 462 33% match rate

Yea I was working with a job coach in the beginning. I think she gave up on me . I was let go without a reason but I think they were cutting costs. They hired 3 new pharmacist and by the end of the year 3 old ones got let go

what have you been doing the last past year? besides applying

My family owns an adult family home. I do consult services for our residents but I hesitate to put that down on my resume cause they might think I’m just making it up to cover the gap. And technically I don’t really get paid as a pharmacist doing these services. I just do it to keep my pharmacy knowledge I guess

Can I ask why you got let go? Where you fired or did you get downsized?

I wish I knew. They didn’t give me a reason but like I said above I think they were cutting costs. They hired 3 new pharmacist and by the end of the year 3 old ones got let go

I have an interview on Friday for a per diem outpatient hospital position. So I’m hoping I get this one at least

Reactions: 3 users
I wish I knew. They didn’t give me a reason but like I said above I think they were cutting costs. They hired 3 new pharmacist and by the end of the year 3 old ones got let go
in my old job they were cutting delivery drivers hours. Reimbursement keeps falling. Good you still have a gig up. maybe look for part time?

Good luck at your interview. I think I'd give the job coach thing another try (you don't always mesh with the first therapist you try, KWIM?) if you don't get the job.

I’m not tied to a city. I got my license from a neighboring state as well. It’s hard to apply out of state that you don’t have a license for yet? idk if I should spend so much money on licensing when a job isn’t guaranteed
If you aren't tied to a place, then you should be applying to jobs all over the country. A residency application is an investment that might not pay off in either the short or long term. Don't only apply places you have a license. Reciprocity is easy most places and many jobs acknowledge that they might have to give you time to get an active license. That being said, not being tied to a place increases your chances at a residency position. Every non-matched postgrad applicant I have ever talked to limited themselves to their immediate area because something else was tying them there.

My family owns an adult family home. I do consult services for our residents but I hesitate to put that down on my resume cause they might think I’m just making it up to cover the gap. And technically I don’t really get paid as a pharmacist doing these services. I just do it to keep my pharmacy knowledge I guess

I would find a way to put this on applications. Does this work put food on your table? If so, then it is a job. Job gaps can look bad on an application and look worse the longer they go on. I would be careful about this though. If you are practicing pharmacy (whether that is your job title or not) then you are subject to your state's BOP. My state has very specific rules for consultant pharmacists.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you consider to work as a tech? That sounds backwards, but that may get your foot into the door.

• Haha
Would you consider to work as a tech? That sounds backwards, but that may get your foot into the door.
It is also a legally questionable practice if he has a license as a pharmacist at the same time. I don't know of a state that will let someone be registered as a technician and a pharmacist at the same time.

Reactions: 3 users
Having graduated from pharmacy school 4 years ago and being an unemployed pharmacist for the past 1 year, I highly recommend applying and obtaining a per diem, part time, or full time pharmacist position. (that's where you may want to start right now)

Good luck with your interview for the hospital outpatient pharmacist position.

Hey all,

My situation sucks. I’ve been unemployed for a year. I was let go by my previous company and have been having trouble landing a job. Been doing interviews but man, they always say we chose someone else who matches closest to our needs BS.

I’m thinking about applying for residencies now. I graduated from school in 2015 and went straight to work so idk if going back to residency will make me a weird applicant. Those who work in selecting residents, what do you think of this?

Did anyone else go back to do this after working as a pharmacist? Tips? Where should I start?

Having graduated from pharmacy school 4 years ago and being an unemployed pharmacist for the past 1 year, I highly recommend applying and obtaining a per diem, part time, or full time pharmacist position. (that's where you may want to start right now)

Good luck with your interview for the hospital outpatient pharmacist position.

Thanks. I applied to every single type of job. Even contract. This outpatient one is per diem. I hope they give me a chance

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I will echo that it is harder to get interviews and match with any long gap after pharmacy school. Most of the successful cases I hear about are people who do not immediately match, find a hospital or other job while staying involved, and reapply the following year.

A general perception is that it can be hard to show you have the knowledge to jump back in and go on inpatient rounds, manage patients in a clinic, etc. if you have not done so for a long time. And I have heard some say things like "they are probably just tired of what they are currently doing in retail" when looking at apps or pointing out when someone stopped being involved in organizations etc. after school. So you have to prove them wrong, including with your LORs showing your clinical capability, if you have BCPS, and/or other ways with your activities.

I'm in a similar situation: I have practiced 2 years in the retail pharmacy and haven't worked as a pharmacist this past year, due to saturation in the job market and disciplinary action by the board (retail caused the issue and I got blamed). I feel residency will do me some justice. I'm investing time looking up the ASHP website but need guidance since the website tailors to graduate students who have letter of reference from preceptors. Its been a long time since I graduated and all I have is letter of reference from colleagues in the retail setting. What is the best strategy to complete their criteria and get matched. Any help would be great!! I have a roadmap to what I want to do (residency) was always in the back burner for me as well as Research and Development/Pharmacueticals. I'm studying for NY MPJE

If you do apply, make sure that your resume demonstrates service to the profession since you've been unemployed, for example being actively involved (more than just attending conferences) of a local pharmacy association, as well as maybe volunteering doing health screenings etc. Definitely find a way to highlight the consulting work that you do.

I'd push back on this. If you're the person signing on the line as the consultand pharmacist doing the required reviews, this is ABSOLUTELY something you should mention. Its better than having a retail background. Doesn't matter whether you get paid. Its clinical work, talk about it.

I'm in a similar situation: I have practiced 2 years in the retail pharmacy and haven't worked as a pharmacist this past year, due to saturation in the job market and disciplinary action by the board (retail caused the issue and I got blamed). I feel residency will do me some justice. I'm investing time looking up the ASHP website but need guidance since the website tailors to graduate students who have letter of reference from preceptors. Its been a long time since I graduated and all I have is letter of reference from colleagues in the retail setting. What is the best strategy to complete their criteria and get matched. Any help would be great!! I have a roadmap to what I want to do (residency) was always in the back burner for me as well as Research and Development/Pharmacueticals. I'm studying for NY MPJE

You are going to have a tough time, but as long as you tell your story cohesively and honestly, I think you've got a chance of matching. You will have to seek letters of rec from colleagues and hopefully superiors who can speak to your patient focus/clinical acumen etc. I wish you the best of luck, reach out via our site if you'd like some additional professional help.

It is also a legally questionable practice if he has a license as a pharmacist at the same time. I don't know of a state that will let someone be registered as a technician and a pharmacist at the same time.
I looked into the matter. The system is designed so you move upwards from trainee tech to pharmacist. You would have to surrender your pharmacist license in order to get a tech license. I asked twice my board if I did surrender would I be able to get it back or go through the whole process of doing Naplex, registration, or do CEs they never responded back. As I was studying for my CEs there might have been a change to my state regulation that require pharmacists who haven't been practicing for 1 year they must do 400 hours internship.

Man I know it probably hurts to say this, but if you've been unemployed for a whole year it probably has more to do with your interview/application skills then the saturation. Poor interview skills can really be a nail in the coffin in terms of job prospects.

You are going to have a tough time, but as long as you tell your story cohesively and honestly, I think you've got a chance of matching. You will have to seek letters of rec from colleagues and hopefully superiors who can speak to your patient focus/clinical acumen etc. I wish you the best of luck, reach out via our site if you'd like some additional professional help.

What is your sit?

Use that Adult Family home experience to apply for an actual pharmacy job in Long term care. That experience could help for applying for residency. Just curious, what is your GPA like?

Also, Did you get in touch with former clinical preceptors about re applying to residencies? Keep in mind the chances of going back to do a residency even after year in 2020, is 30%

Your GPA should be 3.5 or above, need a research project and the work experience will help. Any patient care work experience looks good for RPDs.

But your best bet is to look for LTC pharmacy positions

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all,

Best bet is to go to school for something with potential. Before doing that residency BS I’d either pick PA or NP or just pick a different field with potential. Pharmacy is going down hill and people with residencies have been having difficulties getting positions since 2009.

Just keeping it real.

You won't get a residency as someone 5+ years removed from graduation unless you happened to fortuitously meet an unknown program who was starting up their program this year. If you were only 1-2 years removed from residency then I would say you have a [small] chance, but 5 years is too much of a gap plus you're so removed from the "contemporary" pharmacy curriculum that there's no point in taking a chance on you when there are plenty of well-qualified, desperate students jockeying for residency since they know retail is a mess.

Just keeping it real.

Best bet is to go to school for something with potential. Before doing that residency BS I’d either pick PA or NP or just pick a different field with potential. Pharmacy is going down hill and people with residencies have been having difficulties getting positions since 2009.

Just keeping it real.
I agree. If I were OP, I would do this after getting rid of pharmacy school debt. Not sure OP has any debt from pharm school.

I went back to do residency after being out for at least a year, but that was over 10 years ago, residencies were competitive but not as crazy as it is now.

I’m in the same boat. Been a hospital pharmacist for 4 years and I’m currently working full time. Unfortunately, I’m having a hard time trying to find a non-staffing position. What I have found that it is extremely difficult transition without some sort of post-graduating training. Is it worth pursuing a PGY1/2? Or should i look into PA school and leave pharmacy all together?

I’m in the same boat. Been a hospital pharmacist for 4 years and I’m currently working full time. Unfortunately, I’m having a hard time trying to find a non-staffing position. What I have found that it is extremely difficult transition without some sort of post-graduating training. Is it worth pursuing a PGY1/2? Or should i look into PA school and leave pharmacy all together?
Why do you want to leave staffing?