going begging

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few people have mentioned that they've emailed programs they haven't heard from, then received an invitation a few days later. I'm still waiting to hear from programs that have long since sent out their invites and am thinking perhaps I should start doing this. Like everyone else I am trying to cluster interviews, so I don't want to buy airline tickets until I hear back from all my programs...otherwise I may end up doing 3-4 cross-country trips and my bank account is already screaming for mercy. How does one go about asking for an interview without sounding desperate and/or pushy?

Members don't see this ad.

cytoborg said:
A few people have mentioned that they've emailed programs they haven't heard from, then received an invitation a few days later. I'm still waiting to hear from programs that have long since sent out their invites and am thinking perhaps I should start doing this. Like everyone else I am trying to cluster interviews, so I don't want to buy airline tickets until I hear back from all my programs...otherwise I may end up doing 3-4 cross-country trips and my bank account is already screaming for mercy. How does one go about asking for an interview without sounding desperate and/or pushy?

Just explain that you will be in the area on X and Y dates, and are very interested in their program, and is there any chance they have an interview opening then. You can be polite about it without sounding like you're begging. Worse they can do is say no (their loss!), and then you can go ahead and buy your plane tickets without worrying you'll need to amend the dates later.

cytoborg said:
A few people have mentioned that they've emailed programs they haven't heard from, then received an invitation a few days later.
I wonder if that is not more the exception than the rule. Most of mine seem to come back "Don't call us, we'll call you!"

[addendum]In response to my carefully-worded "application complete" email, a program sent back a "here is our website - if you feel you meet criteria, please send us an application on ERAS". :rolleyes:

My theory is that if they don't outright dump you, any other message is the equivalent of "we're sitting on you".

Members don't see this ad :)
my correlary question to cyborg's is, when is it appropriate to start begging? the dean's letters just came out today, but i know a bunch of the programs i'm still waiting on have already given out interviews. isn't it weird to start begging before the programs' deadlines?

I suppose it's a fine line between annoying them, and showing interest. I would almost rather just wait, hoping the invite will come, rather than contacting them and getting a for-sure rejection or "you're a back-up."

Warning-contents do not necessarily reflect poster's logical thoughts, but are designed to vent frustration and alleviate inaccurate feelings of worthlessness

I finally did it...I actually begged a program to allow me to interview...I never thought it was going to come to this, because throughout medschool some jerk living in the dark ages told me path wasn't that competitive. +pissed+ I should have sought more leadership positions...I should have prostrated myself to higher minds in a research lab...I should have invented something like Gleevac...damn, I can't believe it, LADoc is right, it's like medschool applications all over again.

Anyway, for those who are waiting on U Wash, the program coordinator just let me know that they will be sending out their last batch of interviews shortly (read, bottom of the "acceptable" barrel candidates).

Okay, a couple of deep breaths later, I feel much better. My apologies in advance to anyone who had the misfortune of reading this. :oops:

Thanks for the U Wash update, Sandyworks. They were one of the places I was thinking of emailing. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that we both get interviews. :luck:

cytoborg said:
Thanks for the U Wash update, Sandyworks. They were one of the places I was thinking of emailing. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that we both get interviews. :luck:

They will be making more invitations probably this coming Monday. The email I got from them is that there are only 10 or 11 interview slots left on 4 dates.
They told me that they will "move down the list" and make more invitations if I don't respond.

Hmph, "move down the list?" Grrr. I sense a chip beginning to form in my shoulder.

Hell, who am I kidding. I would love to go there.

AH HA!!! The four-leaf clover worked! U Wash by email baby, yeah!

OHMIGOD!!!!!!!!!!!! Cyborg!!! It worked! It actually worked!!! U Wash didn't get pissed off and tell me to take a hike.
Wow, this must be bliss setting in :oops:

Guess enough of Andy and his kind must have told them they weren't interested. <thank you so much for that, btw>

Did you all hear that Seattle is rated the lowest in the country in terms of average tips left at restaurants? I find that so humorous, because Seattle is known as this great liberal bastion. And thus, it turns out that the people are also cheap!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I love stuff like this.

Best tippers, apparently: Philly. Who knew.

sandyworks said:
OHMIGOD!!!!!!!!!!!! Cyborg!!! It worked! It actually worked!!! U Wash didn't get pissed off and tell me to take a hike.
Wow, this must be bliss setting in :oops:

Guess enough of Andy and his kind must have told them they weren't interested. <thank you so much for that, btw>

I haven't told them a thing. I just deleted the email (although, it's probably sitting in my ADTS mailbox which I never check anymore). I don't like saying "no" to people so I would rather keep quiet. Their wording was, "if we don't hear from you, we will..." Hence, I will not say anything...and it seems they got the point.

I'm happy for you two who just got interviews there. Personally, it was a turnoff when they said you must interview on one of 8 days (and in the second email, one of 4 days). They got back to me later than most other places and coincidentally, I had an interview or one of the stupid Step 2 tests scheduled for each of those days. And the places I had already scheduled interviews, I would probably rank above UWash anyway.

I don't know; to me, one of four days sure beats out Brown. They told me their next available date was January 21st. Apparently, they do group interviews, and thus have no dates available besides the one (maybe two to other candidates) that they offered. Now THAT blows big chunks.

Anyway, U Wash was kind of important to me, because I was trying to find some good places that also had Hemepath fellowships and were acceptable to my match partner. It's amazing how difficult it can be to satisfy all the little personal criteria everyone has.

Last edited:
When you email programs to ask for an update/beg for in interview, do you email the program director directly, or the residency coordinator?
I'm thinking I might email a couple programs out of desperation :scared:

Hey Butterky, I replied to your PM. I emailed the program coordinator at a couple of places (NOT U Wash - I was scared). The PC at one of the places forwarded my message to the PD who was the one who replied. At the other place the PC replied directly. I would recommend going through the PC but assuming your message will be read by the PD. Both cases were positive responses.

I was actually scared too, but I ended up emailing U Wash. There was not much of an option, since they only have one email address listed for residency applicants. (The PC ended up responding that she had forwarded my email to the PD). If I had to choose, I would have emailed the PC.

cytoborg it worked!
i emailed the program coordinator last week, and today, an interview invite! :)

Woo hoo! Good for you. :)