going beyond calculus I ?

Started by jungjh9001
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jungjh9001

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently taking calculus I.
All the pharmacy schools that I looked into only requires
calculus I (as pre-requisite math course)
I'm not sure if I should go on to calculus II and beyond..
If I only take calculus I, would it decrease my chance of getting into
pharmacy school?
 
I don't think it would hurt your chances to not take it. If that is all they require then that must be sufficient for them. If you aren't a fan of math then I def. wouldn't try to take it. If you don't do well it will just hurt your GPA. I only took Calc II because I started out pre-med as a freshman. I absolutely loved Calculus, so if you think it's something you would enjoy, go for it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got up to Calc 3 but I definitely don't see it significantly helping my chances of getting into pharmacy school especially since I never used it for obtaining a math minor. Math courses are helpful for a future pharmacist but I personally don't see how most things after the first half of Calc 2 are going to help your potential career.

If anything, I'd say they are just a few points towards your "I having a demanding well rounded education" attributes but not much more.
 
If I were you, I would not take any calculus beyond the prerequisite unless (1) it is required for your degree and the school you apply for requires the degree; or (2) you are very good at math and can easily get an 'A' to improve your cumulative GPA.

I'm currently taking calculus I.
All the pharmacy schools that I looked into only requires
calculus I (as pre-requisite math course)
I'm not sure if I should go on to calculus II and beyond..
If I only take calculus I, would it decrease my chance of getting into
pharmacy school?
 
all the math I've taken really helped my math score on the pcat. I only missed 4 problems. I've taken Cal 1-3, differential equations, linear algebra. I'm a BME major so it helped. but i don't think you'll need anyone above cal I for prepharm it won't make you look better unless you A's all of them i guess.