GOING CRAZy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedman

Future dentist, I hope
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cant seem to get in anwaywhere, and I am growing very frustarted, but I am still not going to give up. I have a masters degree in biology, with a 3.4 gpa. My undergraduate gpa is worse, around a 2.95ish. My DAT is not great, but far from horrible. I have 18AA, 17org, 16gc, 19bio, 17ts, 23rc, 14pat, 14qr. I am thinking about tryingt o get into a post bac program, but I am afraid i will not even get accepted into one. I have a lot of shadowing experience, I am certified to take oral xrays, and work in the reaearch department of a major pharmaceutical comapny. What else can I do? I know, I can retake the DAT, is there more I can do? Should I keep taking classes, or just simply focus on the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

premedman said:
I cant seem to get in anwaywhere, and I am growing very frustarted, but I am still not going to give up. I have a masters degree in biology, with a 3.4 gpa. My undergraduate gpa is worse, around a 2.95ish. My DAT is not great, but far from horrible. I have 18AA, 17org, 16gc, 19bio, 17ts, 23rc, 14pat, 14qr. I am thinking about tryingt o get into a post bac program, but I am afraid i will not even get accepted into one. I have a lot of shadowing experience, I am certified to take oral xrays, and work in the reaearch department of a major pharmaceutical comapny. What else can I do? I know, I can retake the DAT, is there more I can do? Should I keep taking classes, or just simply focus on the DAT?

Focus on the DAT. It is too important of an admissions criterea to have 14's. I am confident that anyone who really studies can get 20+. Why spend all that $$ and time in class raising a 3.4 gpa to a 3.41 gpa when you can spend 2 months studying and have 20's on your DAT? Besides everything else is in order, doing more of the same wont get you anywhere.

Focus on the DAT. That seems to be your problem (those 14's and 16's are probably it). And strongly consider planning for a career outside dentistry if you can not pull your DAT up to a competitive level.

Members don't see this ad :)
since this is your third time applying to dental school, you should be pretty familiar with the DAT. given your academic background, i know you already know that you need to score in the 20s in all areas of the DAT.

don't waste your time taking classes. you will need to take too many to make a large impact on your GPA. if you can, make the DAT your life this summer. if you can show them you are dedicated enough to study hard and score well on this test, i'm sure you will get into at least one school out there.

good luck and go study!!!

Premedman... IWuvTeef is right, rocking the DAT as if your LIFE depends on it is the key! Eat, sleep and breath the DAT man!!! You have to bring more to the table these days. Show the dental schools that you'll be applying to that you can bear down and kick some ass (much like for a dental board exam!!!) this will also show them how badly you want this profession and give them a nice number to squeeze in with the rest of their accepted!!!

Second, it would not hurt, because your close and on the border, in taking a couple of university undergrad classes to get that undergrad GPA above a 3.0. This is going to show a lot to adcoms as far as personal drive also, and help because most schools have cut-offs at 3.0 regardless of post bac work. Meaning undergrad GPA above 3.0 is a huge criteria for them.

premedman said:

RETAKE the DAT. Those 14's are going to keep you from getting interviewed.

one thing to consider, for my graduate gpa, each class i take actually does have a pretty large impact on my gpoa, being that it only takes around 30 credits to get a master's degree. I want to have a 3.5 in my masters program if it is possible. And, as far as trying to raise my undergrad, it is around a 2.96, but, accoridng to AADSAs it is only like a 2.6 due to reatking classes and such. I figure if I can raise my graduate gpa, then my combined gpa will also increase.

Im just curious why your username is preMEDman since this is your 3rd time applying??? :confused:

premedman said:
your dat's killing you

i'm a little confused too...

I have a 3.5 cummulative undergrad GPA (I will be graduating next year from Univ Illinois at Chicago w/ a degree in Psych)
3.2 Science gpa
1 semester of research at UIC dental school Microbiology Lab
and have shadowed a dentist for 50+ hours
--I was wondering what type of DAT score I'd need to get into a dental school...any school in the U.S. is fine I just want to get in...opinions anyone?
p.s. i have taken a few practice dats (through kaplan) and the scores have ranged from 17-18 AA and 19-20 PAT)
thanks again

retake your DATs and stop whining. I made a bad score the first time and did great the second time. My buddy took it 3 times b4 he achieved his desired scores......get to work

i havent taken my dats...the question was what type of score do i need to be able to get in w/ these stats....where the whining is--i dont know.

That reply was for theoriginal poster. For you............19/18 your in for sure. ANything below is probable/questionable, anything above is great. good luck

SunnyD0119 said:
i havent taken my dats...the question was what type of score do i need to be able to get in w/ these stats....where the whining is--i dont know.

I think that KaryoKinesis was talking to premedman.