Going in cold...

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobsacamenoh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any students here that are planning to go/or have gone into optometry school with only some shadowing experience and no optometry work experience? How much of a disadvantage is it going in cold?

I have this year off before I go to optometry school in 2005 (assuming I get accepted). I am thinking about working at an OD's office, but I am also thinking about working in biotech because the pay is higher and it would provide me with more funds that would be useful for school expenses. What would you do?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

bobsacamenoh said:
Are there any students here that are planning to go/or have gone into optometry school with only some shadowing experience and no optometry work experience? How much of a disadvantage is it going in cold?

I have this year off before I go to optometry school in 2005 (assuming I get accepted). I am thinking about working at an OD's office, but I am also thinking about working in biotech because the pay is higher and it would provide me with more funds that would be useful for school expenses. What would you do?

Thanks

Go for the cash- there are plenty of students that haven't worked for an OD before going in. You will learn everything you need to know in school.

there are pros/cons to both... knowing what i know now i'd go for the cash to save up some money for school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure whether it would make or break your application :confused:
I think that if you have a strong interview that shows that you are well rounded and have explored the profession then you'll do well. I know a couple ppl who worked in Optometry offices during their year off and didn't get into any OD schools. As for myself, I only shadowed my OD once. Nevertheless, to make up for my limited shadowing experience, I decided to speak to different OD's within my community and research the profession. I am sure it also helped that I volunteered at a local hospital for over 8 years and had worked quite extensively with groups within my community.
I'm sure if you just show that you have some knowledge of the profession (have made an effort to shadow an OD at least once), then all will work out.

Conclusion: go for the job you really want! :D

go for the money! you'll need it.
just try and shadow a few days, or try to get a volunteer position on the weekends...best of both worlds

I too would go for the biotech route. There's still no reason why you couldn't shadow or talk to a few ODs before you apply. I think the main reason why the schools want you to shadow is that you're certain optometry is the career that you want and that you're fully aware of all of the issues facing optometry in your area. If you know the answers to any of those questions then going for biotech definitely won't be a problem. Just be ready for a question or two in your interview about why you want to leave biotech or whatever it is that you're doing at that time.