Going into Teaching without Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Studenttosee

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

I'm a recent grad and I worked as a Teaching Assistant during my time in Optometry School and found that I enjoyed both clinical and laboratory teaching. I did not do a residency but am still interested in teaching. Are any of you familiar with how to get into teaching?
 
Hi Everyone,

I'm a recent grad and I worked as a Teaching Assistant during my time in Optometry School and found that I enjoyed both clinical and laboratory teaching. I did not do a residency but am still interested in teaching. Are any of you familiar with how to get into teaching?

I've been trying, but sadly, even getting your resume read requires residency training (yes, even with the new schools). Maybe obtaining your faao would help, but having a connection with the dean would get your foot in the door.