going into this with a specialty in mind

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by saki0005, Nov 15, 2005.

1. saki0005

saki0005 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Please accept my apologies in advance. I would have posted this question on the pre-med board, but they most likely would not know the answer to this question.

I'm a clinical technician and work in the OR (operating cell savers, IABP's, assisting perfusionist, MDA, and CRNA, etc.). I mainly work on open hearts and ortho cases, but I sit in on other cases and observe. Most of the surgeons know me and are aware of my aspirations of med school. I usually end up at the head of the table and get tutored on anatomy.

It's narly to see the variety of what's out their in the arena of slice and dice, but it's the hearts that really rock my world. I can tell you how to cannulate, how to size a mitral valve replacement, how and where to suture down the mammary...I live for this stuff.

My question is, at an interview, should I say that this is what I want to do? In what ways could this work against me. Did any of you have a good idea of where you wanted to end up?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Emergency!

Emergency! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think it hurts to say that you are very interested in a particular specialty, especially if you have a good reason why (which they will probably ask you), as in your case. It never hurts to add that even though you really enjoy this specialty, you realize that there are lots of specialties out there that you have no experience with and you are keeping an open mind.

3. Rendar5

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was and still am fairly certain I'm going into EM. like 90% sure. If that's what you want to do, go for it, and don't be afraid to say that's what it is you want to do for a career. Just don't be dissapointed in schools when u barely touch CV, lol.

4. Ezekiel20

Ezekiel20 Resident
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think having such experience is a big plus for you. You should definately make the most of it in the interview. Heck, I think I got accepted because I worked in an old folk's home for a year and I talked about my experience of having to bathe, feed, dress and make friends with these people.

But I can also see the benefit of saying that you are also open to other specialties. If you focus too much on your passion for heart surgery, they might get the impression that you have no idea what studying medicine is like.

Good luck

Ezekiel

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...