Going Part-time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MGG1848

20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you read minds?

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. Now I know I am making the right choice by trying to match into EM next year . . .

God, it can't get that boring that quick, can it?

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. Now I know I am making the right choice by trying to match into EM next year . . .

Boring isn't the issue.

You can read what I've said in other threads about being overwhelmingly happy with my EM career choice (only been out 9 months though), but I think there are two huge golden keys to being happy in our specialty...

Don't work too much and don't over extend yourself financially. There is ALWAYS 'another shift to work' to make a couple grand extra but be happy with what you already make. I could afford a 1+ million dollar house if I were to be a slave to my work. Instead I have a house less than half that, spend time with my family, travel, and am building a really nice nest egg...

Good Luck

We have a number of guys who work ~8 shifts a month and they seem ok. When I was in residency some of the profs with lots of admin responsibilities (e.g. the PD, the chair) worked 6 shifts a month and those guys were really sharp.

You can read what I've said in other threads about being overwhelmingly happy with my EM career choice (only been out 9 months though), but I think there are two huge golden keys to being happy in our specialty...

Don't work too much and don't over extend yourself financially. There is ALWAYS 'another shift to work' to make a couple grand extra but be happy with what you already make. I could afford a 1+ million dollar house if I were to be a slave to my work. Instead I have a house less than half that, spend time with my family, travel, and am building a really nice nest egg...

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply.

So let me rephrase it since you mentioned balance. Can one work only 3 days a week and stay sharp? Or can one work only 40% of the year and stay sharp in the field?

Thanks for the reply.

So let me rephrase it since you mentioned balance. Can one work only 3 days a week and stay sharp? Or can one work only 40% of the year and stay sharp in the field?

Full time for me is 3-4 shifts/week. No issues about forgetting/unable to work.

Thanks for the reply.

YES! I only work approx 3 days a week (12 hour shifts). I work 12 hour shifts, occasional a few extra at a smaller hospital. I think you could work as little as 4-6 per month at a relatively busy place and still 'stay sharp'...

If I work more than 3 days/week then I feel worn out. I'm sure the rest feel this way. Unfortunately, it's a high stress specialty.

I'd say 3 shifts a month is the bare minimum, and that's for someone who already has 10 years of clinical practice. We don't let people remain partners if they work less than 6. I'd try to do that if I were you. But it would mean not working full time at the other job. Maybe 3 days a week at the corporate job and 1-2 shifts a week in the ED. That would be okay I think.