MGG1848

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2002
Miami, FL
I've decided to make a big life/career change. I am going on 4 years of practice out of residency, and was approached with a non-clinical position working in evil corporate America that will allow me to work a 9-5 schedule without too much of a pay cut. However, I do not want to lose my clinical skills and become unemployable in the future if things in the healthcare world change and this job does not pan out. I have found a position working 3-4 shifts/month evenings/nights to keep up my skills..

So basically, this is a question for you part-timer's out there (if you exist), How many hours or shifts/month do you think is necessary to keep up your skills and remain employable in the future. Is 30 hours/month adequate?

About the Ads

bad virus

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Do you read minds?

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. Now I know I am making the right choice by trying to match into EM next year . . .

God, it can't get that boring that quick, can it?

Arcan57

15+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. Now I know I am making the right choice by trying to match into EM next year . . .

Boring isn't the issue.

EM_Rebuilder

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

You can read what I've said in other threads about being overwhelmingly happy with my EM career choice (only been out 9 months though), but I think there are two huge golden keys to being happy in our specialty...

Don't work too much and don't over extend yourself financially. There is ALWAYS 'another shift to work' to make a couple grand extra but be happy with what you already make. I could afford a 1+ million dollar house if I were to be a slave to my work. Instead I have a house less than half that, spend time with my family, travel, and am building a really nice nest egg...

Good Luck

bad virus

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You can read what I've said in other threads about being overwhelmingly happy with my EM career choice (only been out 9 months though), but I think there are two huge golden keys to being happy in our specialty...

Don't work too much and don't over extend yourself financially. There is ALWAYS 'another shift to work' to make a couple grand extra but be happy with what you already make. I could afford a 1+ million dollar house if I were to be a slave to my work. Instead I have a house less than half that, spend time with my family, travel, and am building a really nice nest egg...

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply.

So let me rephrase it since you mentioned balance. Can one work only 3 days a week and stay sharp? Or can one work only 40% of the year and stay sharp in the field?

8654Marine

Feb 6, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Thanks for the reply.

So let me rephrase it since you mentioned balance. Can one work only 3 days a week and stay sharp? Or can one work only 40% of the year and stay sharp in the field?

Full time for me is 3-4 shifts/week. No issues about forgetting/unable to work.

EM_Rebuilder

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Thanks for the reply.

YES! I only work approx 3 days a week (12 hour shifts). I work 12 hour shifts, occasional a few extra at a smaller hospital. I think you could work as little as 4-6 per month at a relatively busy place and still 'stay sharp'...

D

deleted109597

If I work more than 3 days/week then I feel worn out. I'm sure the rest feel this way. Unfortunately, it's a high stress specialty.

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
www.whitecoatinvestor.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'd say 3 shifts a month is the bare minimum, and that's for someone who already has 10 years of clinical practice. We don't let people remain partners if they work less than 6. I'd try to do that if I were you. But it would mean not working full time at the other job. Maybe 3 days a week at the corporate job and 1-2 shifts a week in the ED. That would be okay I think.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.