Going to a foreign medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preMedFalcon

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I'm several years away from when I plan to apply to medical school, but I'm starting to look into the possibility of going to a foreign medical school as a last resort if I'm unable to get admitted to an American school after several attempts. I feel this is very unlikely to happen, but is of course possible, and I like to be prepared for worst case scenario if it ends up happening, regardless of how unlikely that is.

Is it true that US residency programs (competitive and noncompetitive) prefer to match graduates from American schools, and that going to a foreign school automatically puts you at a disadvantage? If so, to what extent?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm several years away from when I plan to apply to medical school, but I'm starting to look into the possibility of going to a foreign medical school as a last resort if I'm unable to get admitted to an American school after several attempts. I feel this is very unlikely to happen, but is of course possible, and I like to be prepared for worst case scenario if it ends up happening, regardless of how unlikely that is.

Is it true that US residency programs (competitive and noncompetitive) prefer to match graduates from American schools, and that going to a foreign school automatically puts you at a disadvantage? If so, to what extent?
I would say for the most part yes. I would definitely try to go in the US if you can. If he does go out of the country he could do his residency over there and practice here if he passes the boards right?

I would say for the most part yes. I would definitely try to go in the US if you can. If he does go out of the country he could do his residency over there and practice here if he passes the boards right?
I believe you have to complete residency in the US if you want to practice here.

Members don't see this ad :)
All US residencies overwhelmingly prefer US seniors (weak programs may not be able to match them, however).
Competitive residencies are even more likely to prefer US seniors.
Even US IMG's are only about half as likely to match (at all) compared to US seniors.

Those who attend international schools (even if they complete a residency abroad and are US citizens or PR's), must do a US residency to practice independently in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Try at least two cycles for US MD/DO and then try foreign medical schools. Success rate is low but doable. I know several kids in last two cycles who matched.

Reactions: 1 user

Look at this:
SAP Crystal Reports - (kinstacdn.com)
The data for IMGs/FMGs are rather miserable. Compare their experiences with DOs
SAP Crystal Reports - (kinstacdn.com)
If you can't get into a US MD school, the smart move is an osteopathic school with reasonable tuition and good clinical rotations.

Reactions: 4 users
If you have several years before applying, you have plenty of time to prepare an application that will be successful for a MD or DO program. There shouldn't really be much excuse to not get into either types of programs, forcing you into IMG programs, if you have several years to prep. I'm pretty sure that much time is enough to fix any barrier to the former types of programs. Focus on what you need to do to heighten your competitiveness for MD or DO.

As others have mentioned, if your long-term plan is to practice in the US, you should avoid foreign medical schools at all costs. This doesn’t necessarily mean that graduating from a foreign medical school will doom your career, but the uphill climb will be much steeper when it comes to getting into residency. Even licensing boards may require more onerous documentation of your medical school career to ensure that the necessary requirements for licensure have been met.

If you’re planning on practicing medicine elsewhere, that’s another question altogether.

Reactions: 2 users
I will go even further and that even this data generally rosier that the reality. While the formal match rates hover at about 50% of active applicants, when counting total residency applicants, including those that withdraw or dont rank as well as the minuscule post-match placing off shore graduates, under 40% of IMG get any residency slot. This is in comparison to the about 95%+ of US seniors who get a residency slot.

Additionally, the attrition rate of US medical students is 3% while even the “best” off shore schools have likely 10%+ attrition rate. Looking at the “success” rate of starting medical school, earning a degree, and getting a residency, in the US it is over 90% while the “best” off shore schools hover at 30%-35%.
In addition to this, with the expansion of US med schools (new schools, new campuses, and expanded class sizes), these numbers are only going to get worse for non US MD/DO Grads.

Reactions: 3 users
Try at least two cycles for US MD/DO and then try foreign medical schools. Success rate is low but doable. I know several kids in last two cycles who matched.
Almost everyone knows someone or has heard of someone matching from foreign schools, even into ortho, derm, and neurosurgery. The match rates at foreign schools aren’t 0.1%. 20-30% still results in a lot of “success stories”. It just so happens that the failure stories are even more numerous and result in $400k of non-bankrupt-able debt…

Reactions: 2 users
Almost everyone knows someone or has heard of someone matching from foreign schools, even into ortho, derm, and neurosurgery. The match rates at foreign schools aren’t 0.1%. 20-30% still results in a lot of “success stories”. It just so happens that the failure stories are even more numerous and result in $400k of non-bankrupt-able debt…
True and as long as students are aware of it and that’s the last chance I would say go for it

True and as long as students are aware of it and that’s the last chance I would say go for it
Although there is a sucker born every minute, I don't appreciate my tax dollars going to Caribbean schools to fleece them.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Although there is a sucker born every minute, I don't appreciate my tax dollars going to fleece them.
Lol good point.

I say at least go to Central/Eastern Europe where the tuition is $10k/year (instead of $80k/yr in the Caribbean*) and your degree is recognized across the EU. In the very likely event you can't match back in the US, you can at least get a job as a physician in the EU and put your medical degree to work. Many of the Caribbean schools are barely accredited in the US, let alone internationally.

*Ha, I put $80k/yr as a joke/trying to exaggerate. I looked it up turns out the "top" Caribbean school is $319k in tuition and fees for the 4 year degree. Easily $400k with room, board, and travel expenses added in.

Reactions: 1 users
Although there is a sucker born every minute, I don't appreciate my tax dollars going to Caribbean schools to fleece them.
I don’t think those schools are the reason for trillions of national debt. On serious note, I am not sure why those students are eligible for federal loans.

I don’t think those schools are the reason for trillions of national debt. On serious note, I am not sure why those students are eligible for federal loans.
Every dollar that goes to harm a vulnerable population is a dollar I am against.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Every dollar that goes to harm a vulnerable population is a dollar I am against.
I agree that off shore schools loans shouldn't be supported by federal government but if someone wants to spend $1/2M of their own money or private loans it's on them and all we can do is educate them about the risks. Again that not everyone fail is the point I was trying to make.

Because of organized and intense lobbying by the "big" off-shore schools in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
I guess just like any other predatory industry which hires lobbyists and influences politicians.

That’s an one sided bill with no chance of passing senate. We can do better. Both parties have no interest in real reform.

I would propose
1. National holiday for general elections
2. Voter ID
3. More polling stations
4. Ranked voting system
5. Open primaries with top 4 qualify for general election
6. Campaign contribution limitations
7. No midterm elections
8. Four term for house and 8 years for senate.
9. Retirement age of 75 for all elected and appointed posts

I don’t think either party will support most of these.

Last edited: