going to med school, then not practicing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aggiecrew

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
did anyone out there go to med school with the intention of going directly into industry (pharm, biotech, other industries) jobs?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

aggiecrew said:
did anyone out there go to med school with the intention of going directly into industry (pharm, biotech, other industries) jobs?

thanks!

Now that's a really interesting (and contraversial) question. I would NEVER want to do that myself. But I WAS aware of that possibility before going into this. I learned about it on that show where they followed a bunch of Harvard med students about ten years ago and then followed up to see them now. One of the students gradually got disenchanted with medicine and decided she didn't love it enough to make it her life. She chose to go into industry. So did I consider the possibility that after four years of med school I might not want to practice. Yes, and that's something anyone going into medicine should probably think about. Anyway, industry has always been one of my immediate contingency plans. But ONLY to gain resourse/capital to regroup and find a more meaningful direction. There's a $hitload of money to be made on the dark side ;)

And before anyone even tries to condemn me for that. I know how that appears from up on the high horse. I like to saddle up now and then as much as the rest of you. ;) You gotta Fu<king survive. It's cold out there. :cool:

I know plenty of doctors is research, industry or otherwise, but they all decided to do that after getting through most or all of med school. My main question would be why? Med school is expensive, and as far as I know you can get just as good a job in industry with a PhD, which schools pay you to get. And getting a PhD isn't nearly as much studying and cramming facts into your head. Also, getting an industry job these days isn't easy. I know people who've had to do one or even two post-docs before being able to get a well-paying job in industry. So you'd probably have to do something after med school anyway, like a research post-doc.

yeah, I'm no expert, just my thoughts

Members don't see this ad :)
tigress said:
I know plenty of doctors is research, industry or otherwise, but they all decided to do that after getting through most or all of med school. My main question would be why? Med school is expensive, and as far as I know you can get just as good a job in industry with a PhD, which schools pay you to get. And getting a PhD isn't nearly as much studying and cramming facts into your head. Also, getting an industry job these days isn't easy. I know people who've had to do one or even two post-docs before being able to get a well-paying job in industry. So you'd probably have to do something after med school anyway, like a research post-doc.

Yeah I'd agree with that for PhD's. But an md is orders of magnitude more valuable to industry than a PhD. But I'm really not kidding about the "darkside". Don't expect to be following your conscience through that one. ;)

aggiecrew said:

thanks!

DO NOT DO IT! you would be wasting a spot that could go to someone that wants to practice medicine . . . get a PhD, more focused for research and you are still called "Dr."
besides entry level jobs in those industries would NEVER allow you to pay off med school debt

celticmists18 said:
DO NOT DO IT! you would be wasting a spot that could go to someone that wants to practice medicine . . . get a PhD, more focused for research and you are still called "Dr."
besides entry level jobs in those industries would NEVER allow you to pay off med school debt

Not true. ;) md's in "industry" are needed for a completely different reason than phD's. You're not really needed for your "expetise". As a md in some "industries" you are basically a walking loophole. Better with a liscence but still marketable with just a degree. Much legislation is very vague. ;) You would be able to have your loans paid and recieve a hefty salary if you know where to look. But I agree with celticmist. Don't do it. You'll enjoy your life a lot more if you work for something that is positive and meaningful. :D

BTW spend an extra year getting an MBA too and you're sorted.

What would an industry physician do for their proffession that a PhD wouldnt' be able to do? A comment was made above that an MD is orders of value above a PhD...why? And what kind of green are we talking about here? $$$

suckerfree said:
What would an industry physician do for their proffession that a PhD wouldnt' be able to do? A comment was made above that an MD is orders of value above a PhD...why? And what kind of green are we talking about here? $$$

MD's are needed for boring review committes and various lobby groups. Mostly washington stuff but also drug companies like to stock up on md's. "physician" review boards are a bizarre formality that many healtcare related lobbyist go to great expense to put together. Helps to fool the politicians. ;) Healthcare/pharmaceutical lobbys are the largest in washington by quite a margin. The green is generally less than an attending's salary but pretty good for entry level in business. Loans paid and salary in the mid hundreds, with some future prospects. Combined with an MBA more can be made. It's all pretty boring stuff though. IMHO you'd have to really be up the creek without a paddle to even consider something like that over medicine.

tigress said:

I agree, I think most of the review board stuff, the "easy money", is taken up by experienced academics. Without residency, you're in mostly, but not entirely, the same position as a PhD. Depending on research experience, you may have more trouble with research jobs. That basically means there are plenty of options out there, but it'll take work. With residency, there are many more possibilities, but I still don't the jobs are picnics to get and to succeed you need a whole new set of skills.

Not that it matters, but I wish people would show more respect for the PhD training. Yeah, okay, you don't have the constant volume of stuff to memorize or the clinical part, but on the other hand, you have to produce a dissertation. Also, it's almost 50% longer on average. Getting paid is nice, though.

j8131 said:
I agree, I think most of the review board stuff, the "easy money", is taken up by experienced academics. Without residency, you're in mostly, but not entirely, the same position as a PhD. Depending on research experience, you may have more trouble with research jobs. That basically means there are plenty of options out there, but it'll take work. With residency, there are many more possibilities, but I still don't the jobs are picnics to get and to succeed you need a whole new set of skills.

Not that it matters, but I wish people would show more respect for the PhD training. Yeah, okay, you don't have the constant volume of stuff to memorize or the clinical part, but on the other hand, you have to produce a dissertation. Also, it's almost 50% longer on average. Getting paid is nice, though.

Yeah, but you're just thinking research. There are markets for an md other than research. There's a lot more to the healthcare industry than R&D. ;) But another thing. Just because there's money in something doesn't mean it's gonna be "easy". Work is work is work and most jobs are tough.

phoenixsupra said:
Yeah, but you're just thinking research. There are markets for an md other than research. There's a lot more to the healthcare industry than R&D. ;) But another thing. Just because there's money in something doesn't mean it's gonna be "easy". Work is work is work and most jobs are tough.

No, no, I certainly wasn't trying to imply that the jobs would be easy. And contrary to what many med students think, the lifestyle can be as bad as or worse than medicine. Well, really, there's more variation in medicine depending on what you do. The easy money is stuff like sitting on boards, but that stuff doesn't go to newbies.

That said, I wasn't talking just about reseach. Without residency, I don't think you qualify for much that a PhD doesn't. If you look at starting salaries in industry, MD/MBA and PhD/MBA are pretty close, MDs sometimes get a small premium. With residency then you get the medical director type positions. Those pay well but aren't easy to get or keep. I'm not denying there are opportunities out there, obviously. Do you have specific examples of jobs for MD, but not PhD?

j8131 said:
No, no, I certainly wasn't trying to imply that the jobs would be easy. And contrary to what many med students think, the lifestyle can be as bad as or worse than medicine. Well, really, there's more variation in medicine depending on what you do. The easy money is stuff like sitting on boards, but that stuff doesn't go to newbies.

That said, I wasn't talking just about reseach. Without residency, I don't think you qualify for much that a PhD doesn't. If you look at starting salaries in industry, MD/MBA and PhD/MBA are pretty close, MDs sometimes get a small premium. With residency then you get the medical director type positions. Those pay well but aren't easy to get or keep. I'm not denying there are opportunities out there, obviously. Do you have specific examples of jobs for MD, but not PhD?

Yes, but I'm not sharing them yet. ;) Just in case. You're right about newbies not getting on review boards WITHIN the medical establishment. Remember there's much bussiness in the healthcare world that's not exactly in the interest of medicine. Hence all the coy references to the "darkside". There are places where a token md is worth a bit of cash. There are many where an md/mba is worth a lot. Personally I've no interest in doing anything other than practicing but I ain't got no support and when the wolf is at the door one tends to think of alternatives. ;) I agree about phD's not being respected my medstudents etc. I think that's dumb but I don't see it changing any time soon.

phoenixsupra said:
Yes, but I'm not sharing them yet. ;) Just in case. You're right about newbies not getting on review boards WITHIN the medical establishment. Remember there's much bussiness in the healthcare world that's not exactly in the interest of medicine. Hence all the coy references to the "darkside". There are places where a token md is worth a bit of cash. There are many where an md/mba is worth a lot. Personally I've no interest in doing anything other than practicing but I ain't got no support and when the wolf is at the door one tends to think of alternatives. ;) I agree about phD's not being respected my medstudents etc. I think that's dumb but I don't see it changing any time soon.

a

Last edited:
aggiecrew said:
are you talking about working for an insurance company?

No, though there may be options there.