Going to pharmacy school out of state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering going out of state for pharmacy school.
I'm from california, and is it common that students tend to end up living in the state they went for pharmacy school?

Also would it be difficult for me to get a job back in california, if I say I got out of state. I heard that's true for medical students.. I'm not sure though.

Lastly... Does deferring enrollment a possibility..?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where I work, there are only 3 pharmacists that went to school in this state. There are a few from the east coast and a lot from the midwest. At other pharmacies I have worked at, only 1 went to school in state. Not sure how it is elsewhere but in my state, we have pharmacists that come from all over.

In Florida I think it is the opposite, most everyone my husband works with went to one of the Florida schools (more than 2/3rd), this is probably due to the fact that Florida didn't used to accept licensure from other states, so you would have to retake all your exams if you moved here from another state rather than just the law (which is why my husband kept two licenses current one here and one in Alabama up until last year). This has recently changed, though the effects are still in play. I don't know that any states are doing this anymore but I do not know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering going out of state for pharmacy school.
I'm from california, and is it common that students tend to end up living in the state they went for pharmacy school?

Also would it be difficult for me to get a job back in california, if I say I got out of state. I heard that's true for medical students.. I'm not sure though.

Lastly... Does deferring enrollment a possibility..?

Thanks

I'm not from Cali...so can't specify about it but I am intending to go out of state even though I also got accepted in my home state as well, since I really like this school. I think it is up to u where you want to practise as Naplex covers whole US and MPJE is state specific.......so if you want to practise in Cali you have to select its code in MPJE exams after graduation and fulfill other requirements of State Board of Pharmacy. It is better to check the website of Cali state board of pharmacy. Here u can get more info from:
California State Board of Pharmacy

Virginia “Giny” Herold
Executive Officer
1625 N. Market Blvd., N219
Sacramento, CA 95834 United States
Office: 916-574-7900
Fax: 916-574-8618
Email: [email protected]
:):):)
Good Luck:thumbup::thumbup:

is it common that students tend to end up living in the state they went for pharmacy school?

Also would it be difficult for me to get a job back in california, if I say I got out of state?

It really depends. Some people to go pharmacy school in the state that is close to theirs and then just plan to go back home after graduating.

Others will find a school or a program they like, and go to school about half way across the country, and then plan to return home after that.

If you take the exams for CA and pass and get licensed, you can get a job there without much of a problem, unless you're considering a saturated area.

I know that most states allow you to just reciprocate your license. However, CA doesn't. I think they require you to take a specific CA only exam if you want to be licensed there. I met a floater who said she used to work at our store before (in MD), but then she moved to CA, couldn't pass the exam, then moved back since she couldn't practice there.

Does anyone know if it is significantly harder to get into state schools in other states?

Depends on the school. There are a bunch that don't put preference on state residents. PharmCAS's school directory is really helpful for that. It explicitly states under the "Residency" category: "Is preference given to state residents?". It's a great tool for profiling schools to narrow down which ones you want to apply to.

I know that most states allow you to just reciprocate your license. However, CA doesn't. I think they require you to take a specific CA only exam if you want to be licensed there. I met a floater who said she used to work at our store before (in MD), but then she moved to CA, couldn't pass the exam, then moved back since she couldn't practice there.

That's an interesting story. Do you find that floater pharmacist competent when working with her? I ask because although I hear the CA exam is harder than other states (despite the fact that they made it easier than in the past), any competent pharmacist should be able to pass it. Maybe it was the CA law exam she screwed up on? Even then, it should be very passable.

That's an interesting story. Do you find that floater pharmacist competent when working with her? I ask because although I hear the CA exam is harder than other states (despite the fact that they made it easier than in the past), any competent pharmacist should be able to pass it. Maybe it was the CA law exam she screwed up on? Even then, it should be very passable.
She seems competent to me, but I've only worked with her once. She works mainly at the Naval Hospital, so I would hope she's competent. Who knows, maybe she's really bad at tests..... :eyebrow:

She seems competent to me, but I've only worked with her once. She works mainly at the Naval Hospital, so I would hope she's competent. Who knows, maybe she's really bad at tests..... :eyebrow:

Eh, life in California isn't as glamourous as some may think anyway. :)