Going to pharmacy school out of state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RX2020

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to know what are the disadvantages of going to an out of state pharmacy school. I live in NY and would like to apply to some schools outside of NY. Will I have a hard time practicing in NY? (I believe private school charge the same tuition to in and out of state students)

Members don't see this ad.

You should try to apply to out of state schools. If your gpa is a 3.0 and above you can try to apply to LIU. But the cut off is 3.0, they will auto reject if you have less than that. I think you live in the city right? you can try to apply to University of New England in Maine, it's a pretty decent school.

And some places that are close, are Temple, and Thomas Jefferson (Which is right by Chinatown in phila) You can take a 2 hour bus ride from nyc down there.

I also applied to some out of state schools but I got into LIU, and I choose LIU because they have a big alumni and I save more money in nyc... though tuition is 37,000$ a year. Most other schools are 30,000, but they want you to take out 50,000$ a year in their program. I also have state aid and scholarships from LIU... and I heard job placements are good for LIU.

You can also try St John Fischer and that new school in Buffalo...

Hey,

Thanks for the response! I have repeats. Graduate in 2007 but was not sure if I wanted to do pharmacy. Took bunch of science classes and messed up. Went back in 2010 and I have 3.8 in science and cum

Members don't see this ad :)
I say you have good chance with UNE, I saw some similiar stats with a high PCAT score, and they got in. Dont give up, just address the problem in your interview and personal statement. You can also try to apply to Touro (NY) campus in Manhattan, they dont need a PCAT score.

Thanks!

However, I should be able to work in NY - correct?