Going to St. James and wanting ER residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoudBark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think the chances are of a student from St. James to land and ER residency spot back in the US?

Is ER just moderately competitive where if this St. James student did at least average on USMLE and did good on rotations in the US in 3rd and 4th year that they could have a decent shot?

I don't think ER is really that competitive for St. James student to worry about? Or is it?

How common is it for caribbean students to be able to match in ER?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Take a look at the NRMP match results for 2011, Table 2.

There were 1607 PGY-1 ED spots. 1602 filled.

Of those, 71 went to US IMG's. 1268 went to US grads (not including DO's)

According to Table 4, there were 16559 US grads in the match, and 3769 US IMG;s.

Therefore, roughly, 1268/16559 = 7.6% of US grads got an ED spot
71/3769 = 1.9% of US IMG's got an ED spot.

St James isn't one of the top Carib schools, so their grads will likely do worse than St G / Ross / etc.

The best way to answer this is to to look at prior years match lists.

Here's 2011: http://www.valuemd.com/st-james-medical-school/210517-saint-james-2011-residency-match.html
Here's 2010: http://bonaire.sjsm.org/files/Student_Newsletter_01-11_April_20101.pdf

(side note: Not sure if they only take 10-15 students a year, or people aren't getting residencies, or people are failing out)

Not a single ED match in either year. Perhaps no one was interested. But, I would think that getting an ED spot from SJSM would be a serious uphill battle. Is it possible? Sure, if you rock your USMLE's and then find a way to do ED rotations at programs that have a residency, get great letters of rec, interview well, and have some luck. But I wouldn't count on it.

What do you think the chances are of a student from St. James to land and ER residency spot back in the US?

Is ER just moderately competitive where if this St. James student did at least average on USMLE and did good on rotations in the US in 3rd and 4th year that they could have a decent shot?

I don't think ER is really that competitive for St. James student to worry about? Or is it?

How common is it for caribbean students to be able to match in ER?

Thanks for your help.
So what did you decide to do? I'm headed to St James in 2016 and I love ER medicine. I would apply and hopefully match into a FM residency then do a 1 yr EM fellowship.

So what did you decide to do? I'm headed to St James in 2016 and I love ER medicine. I would apply and hopefully match into a FM residency then do a 1 yr EM fellowship.

Depending on where you want to work, you may not be able to get hospital credentials if you cannot secure an ABMS board-certification in Emergency Medicine. A 1-yr EM "fellowship" after doing an FM residency does not currently provide that pathway.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 user