Gold Standard Review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SKI&SCUBA_DOC2B

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Gold Standard Audio Review during their second year to prepare for step I? I plan on studying for step I throughout the year using audio CDs while driving to and from school. This of course would be in addition to studying the weeks before the boards. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I bought the gold standard audio a while ago, and I really wish that I hadn't wasted my money. I also bought Goljan at the beginning of my 2nd year and burned his audio onto CD's and listened to them in the car. Goljan is much more high yield and much more entertaining than Gold Standard. Gold Standard can be dangerous - it can be so boring sometimes and may put you to sleep at the wheel! :sleep:

Just my two cents!

Nylund727 said:
Hello,
Gold Standard can be dangerous - it can be so boring sometimes and may put you to sleep at the wheel! :sleep:

Just my two cents!

I agree! I have almost fallen asleep several times listening to that monotonous voice. Occasionally, there will be a change in pace when they dubbed over it to fix an error. LOL. Also, it does seem to be kind of low yield stuff, alot is missing, and some of it is simply incorrect. I wouldnt waste my money. I wish i didnt.

Gold Standard is good if you are starting your MS2, but i wouldnt use it for prep before the exam. It complements your learning during the year and helps you highlight a few things during exams. As for Goljan live, its far superior for board prep and for the during your MS2. I had both cd sets and they helped. To cut down the cost i'd suggest sharing a set with a friend or two. Just rotate the cds and it makes gold standard much more affordable.

Jim

such a waste of time and money - just to give you an idea of what an idiot the author is he says in his cd's he didn't vaccinate his children i stopped listening right there. just memorize first aid for step 1 and crush for step 2 and you will do great on both your exams. don't waste your time with these terrible cds.