Gold Standard Step 2 Audio - Corrections & Additions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stark

ApolloAudiobooks.com
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Gold Standard Step 2 AND Foundations of Internal Medicine Audio Reviews will be updated based on your suggestions. This thread is for you to post any Corrections or Additions you would like to see in the 2011 versions of the Step 2 and Foundations Audio Reviews.

Here is one suggestion I have to improve both the Step 2 and Foundations audio programs

SUGGESTION: Make a "Summaries" disc that contains all the summaries in the programs - for quick review of important conditions.

et cetera. . .

NOTE: Suggestions for corrections and additions will be evaluated for updating the new versions of the reviews. Just for posting your feedback, you will be acknowledged as a contributor in the acknowledgements section of the new audio program.

Members don't see this ad.

Like many others I also listen to the audio when I am either tired of reading or can't read, like driving or when eye strain sets in. The best way to learn is to involve as many senses as possible; sight (reading), sound (audio lecture), and touch (putting into practice the studied concepts).

My one criticism is that I bought step 2 not knowing it was out of date (it still has fasting blood glucose at 140 for diabetes Dx and the ACLS needs updated...), But since they are updating the audio for 2011 I assume that all this out of date info will be updated and good to go.

However, many concepts and info remain the same and so I continue to listen to the audio in preparation for step 3 and residency(although the new version would be nice to have.) The extra investment is definitely worth the payoff which is more information retained, better doctor, better scores, and happier patients.

CJJMD - thanks for posting this comment!

This is exactly the type of feedback we are looking for in the Gold Standard Step 2 Corrections and Additions thread! At Apollo, we want students to point out all of the inconsistencies or any errors that may be found in our programs.

Based on Medical Student feedback in 2010 we added "Points on Psychiatry" to the 2011 Edition of the Gold Standard Step 2 Audio review - in addition to other subjects.

Apollo just took over distribution of the Gold Standard Audio reviews in 2010 and started the Med Student Transcription Project to update the audio in 2010 as well. At present, Apollo does have both the ACLS and Diabetes sections of the Step 2 program transcribed. Thus the ACLS and Diabetes sections will be the first sections of updated audio going forward.

How Can I Get the ACLS and Diabetes Step 2 Audio When They are Updated?

As soon as the audio is update for the Gold Standard Step 2 Audio review ACLS and Diabetes Sections, Apollo email our links to all ApolloAudiobooks.com email subscribers. You can download the updated audio from those links for free once there are released. You can become an email subscriber at: http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=27.

Wising Everybody USMLE Step 2 Success!

http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com

ApolloUSMLE

Hey there,

I am (or will be) an IMG who bought all your material for the first and second step of the USMLE. And I really love the material and appreciate the fact that you offer it for such a great, student-friendly price. Thanks a lot for that!! Nevertheless, I've got two things I'd like to mention or to propose.
First, I'm learning most of the time with my ipodtouch or ipad, and a lot of podcasts that I listen to have the spoken text written on the display as well. Wouldn't it be so cool if you could add that to future versions? It could adhance the learning process by giving the opportunity of reading and hearing the same words at the same time. I read this statistic that you remember 20% of what you hear, 30% of what you read, and 50% of what you hear and read at the same time. And sometimes it's quite hard for me to concenctrate if I "just" listen and often my thoughts wander off, which doesn't happen as frequently when I can read the text at the same time, especially if the topic is quite hard and complex as in medicine (especially for foreigners).
Second, in the part "Foundations of Internal Medicine", some endings are cut off, at least in the first chapters called "Abdominal distension", the last seconds or minutes (which length I do not know, of course) are cut off! It would be really nice if you could fix that soon and send me a replacement link.

That was already it. I hope to get a reply. Thanks for your great work. Keep it up!!

Stephan Radzanowski (German medical student, University of Leipzig)

Cozenboy,

You are right, the combination of audio plus text/video is very useful. The main utility of our Gold Standard USMLE Audio programs is that they are something you can listen to "on the go" - meaning on your commute, at the gym, on long road trips, walking the dog, on the subway, painting the house, whatever...

However, we recognize the value of adding the text to the audio, as an enhanced format study experience. Therefore we have taken the following steps:

• Collected hundreds of student transcriptions of our Gold Standard Reviews in exchange for "FREE" copies of our reviews.
  • Begun compiling those programs into a physical "book of student transcriptions" you can follow along with the audio.
  • Begun producing videos that contain the audio paired with the video for easy review - available for free on YouTube.com (URL is below).
  • Begun releasing free transcripts with out "Two Free Monthly USMLE Audio Downloads" as a unique benefit for email subscribers.

The good news is that you and I are on the same page and agree that audio plus text would be a great way to study. The bad news is that the production of the videos and books will take some time (a couple of months for the textbooks of student transcriptions - and over a year, expected, to produce the full video series).

• To find out when the textbooks corresponding to the Gold Standard USMLE Audio reviews are released, you can sign up at http://apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=27 as an email subscriber.
  • Also, if you select to receive "Two FREE USMLE Audio Downloads Per month" you will receive the corresponding PDF transcripts for the Gold Standard Programs (when they are available).
  • Also, you can find subscribe to our USMLE Step 1 and USMLE Step 2 Channels on YouTube to watch free USMLE review videos as they are released at:
  • Finally, You can view some of the USMLE transcripts along with the audio from our Gold Standard USMLE programs for FREE at our website: http://boardprep.net/.

Thanks,

Stark
ApolloAudiobooks.com / BoardPrep.net