Golden Mnemonics, formulas and easy to forget crucial concepts for ALL sections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HriRish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I was wondering if we could use this thread to compile a list of frequently used and useful mnemonics applicable to all sections of the MCAT exam. We could also compile a list of the most important equations for all subjects, as well as concepts that are easy to confuse or forget or get wrong on the exam. This is the format we will use:

SECTION: (Insert Section Name, BS, PS, or VR)
TYPE: (Insert type of information here, either mnemonic, equation, or concept/idea)
INFORMATION: (Insert your relevant information here)

I think this would be an excellent way to pool our knowledge base and in the process, get highly useful bytes of information that will assist us greatly come test day. Might even get stickied if we put in enough effort and get lucky!!

Members don't see this ad.

Section: PS
Type: Pnemonic
Information: One pnemonic that I've found useful for remembering the order of the UV spectrum is:
Grandma's X-Rated Underpants are Visible In My Room
Gamma, X-Ray, UV, Visible, Infrared, Microwave, Radio (going from highest frequency/shortest wavelength to lowest frequency/longest wavelength)

In my experience, it's the most vulgar pnemonics that I remember the most lol. This one was taught to us in our TPRH physics lecture by the instructor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aww man, there already is a giant thread of them! Oh well...

ROY G BIV = Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet (visible spectrum)

Pure as Gold = Purines are A & G

On Old Olympus Towering Tops A Fat Ass German Viewed Some Hops =

Cranial Nerves (olfactory, optic, oculomotor, trochleal, trigeminal, abducens, facial, auditory/vestibulocochlear, glossopharyngeal, Vagus, spinal accessory, hypoglossal nerve)

Aww man, there already is a giant thread of them! Oh well...

ROY G BIV = Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet (visible spectrum)

Pure as Gold = Purines are A & G

On Old Olympus Towering Tops A Fat Ass German Viewed Some Hops =

Cranial Nerves (olfactory, optic, oculomotor, trochleal, trigeminal, abducens, facial, auditory/vestibulocochlear, glossopharyngeal, Vagus, spinal accessory, hypoglossal nerve)

I highly doubt that we would need to know the specific cranial nerves - anyone?

I highly doubt that we would need to know the specific cranial nerves - anyone?

I wouldn't be surprised man. During my test last August I remember at least 3 discrete questions asking very specific information I thought was outside the scope of the mcat. Luckily cranial nerves and their function can be memorized easily with mnemonics.

The mnemonic for their names and order is mentioned above, but I also use the following to see if the nerve is somatic, motor, or both.

I - XII

Some-Say-Marry-Money-But-My-Brother-Says-Big-Boobs-Matter-More

If it starts with "S", it is somatic, IE Nerves, 1,2, etc.
Starts with "M" = motor
Starts with "B" = both motor and somatic.

Cindy Is Kinky So She F@#ks More Often

citrate, isocitrate, alpha-ketoglutarate, succinyl-coenzyme A, succinate, fumarate, malate, oxaloacetate

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's be serious...if you're on SDN, you definitely need to know the cranial nerves. (I personally wouldn't bother though...not high yield, maybe for USMLE :laugh: )

Let's be serious...if you're on SDN, you definitely need to know the cranial nerves. (I personally wouldn't bother though...not high yield, maybe for USMLE :laugh: )

I never heard anything about cranial nerves during my studying. I took it in 2012 though, not sure if things have changed. Just seems painfully low yield.

Haha yeah I was being facetious...also did a quick search of past threads and most people agreed cranial nerves do not need to be known for the MCAT....unless of course you're going for a 45.

I take it this is not in order? Scratching my head on this one :p

That is in order. At least, that's how I learned it in upper level anatomy. Professor that taught that to me was an MD/PhD, so I hope he'd at least know that. :smuggrin:

I know it's not really needed but for I-XII, I always remembered:

Oh once one takes the anatomy final, very good vacations are heavenly!

Also not needed, but for the carpal bones:

Some lovers try positions that they can't handle

:p