golf post MOHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

caligas

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Healthy 50 yo, superficial BCC, lower leg over tibia. Shave took all visible lesion, <1cm wide. Mohs planned.

How bad of an idea is Golf five days out? (Tournament)

Thanks!!
 
Healthy 50 yo, superficial BCC, lower leg over tibia. Shave took all visible lesion, <1cm wide. Mohs planned.

How bad of an idea is Golf five days out? (Tournament)

Thanks!!

Mohs surgeon here.

I’m not too concerned about delaying treatment for a superficial BCC. I normally tell my patients in this situation to delay their Mohs until after the tournament.

I also do a lot of Mohs with the defect left to heal by secondary intention, so depending on the final defect, I could certainly envision doing Mohs and still being comfortable counseling a patient that they can golf 5 days later.

I wouldn’t count on playing 5 days later if you end up with a larger defect requiring a larger closure, flap, or graft on the lower leg.

This isn’t always popular among Mohs surgeons, but superficial BCC can also be treated nonsurgically with Aldara/imiquimod. I discuss that option with patients who specifically want to avoid surgery.