Goljan Audio Files?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nbd13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a copy of Goljan's audio files and lecture notes, but I got to thinking....he says in there that he changes his notes and adds new info when he is told new topics on the boards and thus the lectures/audio files will change.

I was wondering, should I try to obtain the most up-to-date lecture notes and audio files? How will I know they are the most up-to-date version and does it really matter? Any ideas on how to get them as well?

I really benefit from listening to his lectures, they help me tie everything together. I am a MS-II and just trying to prepare for the test as I go along this year.

Wondering what people's thoughts are.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Members don't see this ad.

lol. First off, these audio files were recorded illegally, and thus you won't find much information on this site about that. Goljan works for Falcon Review now, and does a live Step 1 course for quite the hefty price (5k or so). If you want the newest files, that's where you will have to go.

Most people have his 2004 files, which again were recorded illegally.

First, the original Goljan audios are copyrighted material not available for sale by the copyright holder, and so it is not possibly to legally have obtained them, so you probably don't want to suggest you did on an online bulletin board. These were bootlegged from a course he taught for Kaplan, and never authorized to be released. Second, these materials came out well over a decade ago (they are definitely older than 2004 BTW), and he subsequently left Kaplan, so there were never any updates. Per wiki, he now works for Falcon, and I am not aware that they have released an updated set for sale.

So yes what you have is the "most up to date" and it is somewhat "out of date". And illegal under the copyright laws.

First, the original Goljan audios are copyrighted material not available for sale by the copyright holder, and so it is not possibly to legally have obtained them, so you probably don't want to suggest you did on an online bulletin board. These were bootlegged from a course he taught for Kaplan, and never authorized to be released. Second, these materials came out well over a decade ago (they are definitely older than 2004 BTW), and he subsequently left Kaplan, so there were never any updates. Per wiki, he now works for Falcon, and I am not aware that they have released an updated set for sale.

So yes what you have is the "most up to date" and it is somewhat "out of date". And illegal under the copyright laws.

they are still great audios are quite relevant for the material on the test.

who cares if it is bootlegged (I'm NEVER going to be in legal trouble for having listened to them, whatever you say, how could one ever prove I even have them without a 4th amendment violating search), I literally recall stuff goljan talked about everyday when I'm on the wards. for the sake of my future pt's (and for the sake of my baller step 1 score), I'm glad I listened to the bootlegged copies, which if you haven't figured out by now, have been viral throughout every medical school in America since the mid-2000s.

he's an idiot for not making an audio lecture available for purchase, as he would make a killing. I would have definitely paid to get these audios if there were a channel to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Gute, guess what we're investigating now?

chris-hansen.jpg

Why don't you take a seat...

Hey Gute, guess what we're investigating now?

chris-hansen.jpg

Why don't you take a seat...

lol, I (and every other student at my school, and many others at every med school in America) may have "illegally" used bootlegs, but they can't take away my KNOWLEDGE.

lock me up, throw away the key, I still got my brain. No one can ever take that away from me. Ed Goljan cant take the knowledge back, sorry buddy. If it makes him feel better, I bought 2 of his (overpriced but good) books.

...it is not possibly to legally have obtained them, so you probably don't want to suggest you did on an online bulletin board.

My understanding of copyright law is that the distributor is the one committing the illegal act and not the person who receives the goods. Is that not correct?

Also, I've heard rumor that there are newer versions than the '04 audio but I have yet to find them.

I was reading another thread on this site from someone who was taught by Goljan and apparently he is working on an official audio product to accompany his RR path book.

My understanding of copyright law is that the distributor is the one committing the illegal act and not the person who receives the goods. Is that not correct?

Also, I've heard rumor that there are newer versions than the '04 audio but I have yet to find them.

Never heard of a newer version. There is a "Step 2" version that covers a bunch of medicine stuff but I was sick of his voice and was never able to make it through them.

The ones that float around everywhere are from right around 2001-2002 based on a few "recent" things he references during the lectures. (He says something about "Last October when Sharon Stone had a subarachnoid hemorrhage. Which was Oct 2001. So it was sometime in the 12 months after that.)

Don't get me wrong - they're still useful. But they're almost a decade old at this point.

There are other versions where people have cut out stuff, sped it up etc. But its all the same lecture.

Never heard of a newer version. There is a "Step 2" version that covers a bunch of medicine stuff but I was sick of his voice and was never able to make it through them.

The ones that float around everywhere are from right around 2001-2002 based on a few "recent" things he references during the lectures. (He says something about "Last October when Sharon Stone had a subarachnoid hemorrhage. Which was Oct 2001. So it was sometime in the 12 months after that.)

Don't get me wrong - they're still useful. But they're almost a decade old at this point.

There are other versions where people have cut out stuff, sped it up etc. But its all the same lecture.

Agreed. No way it's dated as late as 2004. I joined SDN in 2004 and it was already the subject of very old threads even then. Someone may have redistributed it illegally in 2004, but it's an older lecture than that.

My understanding of copyright law is that the distributor is the one committing the illegal act and not the person who receives the goods. Is that not correct.

Your understanding is not exactly right -- frequently the recipient will be in violation of the law. If you download it off the internet you have violated copyright law. If you request it from someone and they give you a copy, you have violated the copyright law. The person who distributed it also violated the law (even if they passively distributed via a peer to peer system), but that doesn't really help you at all.

Which is why it is foolish to state on a bulletin board that you have acquired such bootlegged material. And the bootleg nature of these tapes is the reason SDN is not a proper forum for folks seeking info as to how to acquire them.