Goljan Review for USMLE Step I (Outdated?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Preintel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Goljan rapid review and audio courses out dated for step I preparation or are they still viable options to use as review resources?

Members don't see this ad.

After reading the entire step 1 thread for this year, it seems like those who used Goljan RR and audio throughout coursework say it's a great resource and the audio alone got them several questions they wouldn't otherwise known. Goljan is too detailed for most people's dedicated time, so do it throughout the year with classes and supplement with Pathoma. Also, the audio recordings are old but RR 4e came out in '14 and I know 5e is in the works (not sure how close to publish date) so those are definitely not outdated.

Have you personally used either Goljan audio or the course prep materials to study and if you did how did you end up doing?

Haven't taken step yet, just entering M2. My school curriculum is set up to where path books really aren't too applicable until M2. I'm just passing along info I've gathered from a lot of research on sdn about those who've scored very well on step 1. Pathoma is great, but Goljan goes into a lot more of the biochem and physiology to increase your understanding. It is too big to be considered a review book anymore, imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Goljan rapid review and audio courses out dated for step I preparation or are they still viable options to use as review resources?

RR is no longer a 'rapid' review. It has so much information. Of course, the more information, the better. But, not everyone has that much time or patience. It is not outdated by any stretch of the imagination. Neither the audio nor the book.

It's a beautiful book. Didn't have a feeling it helped me during the exam at all though...
I'd say go for pathoma.

Have you personally used either Goljan audio or the course prep materials to study and if you did how did you end up doing?
Audio was great. Both for boards and now in third year I notice myself remembering many things solely from the audio. Did great on step 1 back in June.