PTOSIS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2004
Status
anyone have experience with this or is looking to sell it, drop me a line.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2002
Visit site
Status
someone in the compiled step 1 experiences forum mentioned something about the book---you can chk out one of the lasts post there by "Joe Joe..."

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
The question CDs come with his Rapid Review books.

Discobolus

Dutch-American
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
Red State
Status
There are a couple of problems with the CD-ROM that comes with his Rapid Review USMLE Step 1 Book, one is minor and the other pretty big.

1. The minor problem is that the CD contains all the questions that are already in the book, so you are not getting 1050 new questions, only 700.
2. The major problem is that there is no option on the CD to keep you from getting old questions so it would be almost impossible to get through all 1050 questions, because you will be getting repeats over and over again.

The book seems really good though.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2002
Visit site
Status
So, does the RR USMLE Step 1 cd/book contain questions for all the subjects or just path?

Also, just to clarify, so the book contains 350 total questions, and the cd contains 1050 (those 350 +700 more)? So, why don't I just do the cd instead of the book? Is it worth the investment, like are they helpful?

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
amazon is good :) do a search for Goljan

Discobolus

Dutch-American
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
Red State
Status
The CD is relatively worthless because of the second thing I mentioned. You can only do questions in random blocks of 50 and there is no way to ensure that they will be all new questions, so it is impossible to tell how many blocks of 50 you would have to do (with lots of repeats) in order to get every last question.

HiddenTruth said:
So, why don't I just do the cd instead of the book? Is it worth the investment, like are they helpful?

automaton

drone
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2004
assembly line
Status
the software that comes with the rapid review books were made by first semester undergraduates who probably only recently found out how to turn on a computer. it's hideous.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2002
Visit site
Status
Discobolus said:
The CD is relatively worthless because of the second thing I mentioned. You can only do questions in random blocks of 50 and there is no way to ensure that they will be all new questions, so it is impossible to tell how many blocks of 50 you would have to do (with lots of repeats) in order to get every last question.
haha, you're kidding me--how worthless! Initially, when you mentioned it, I thought you meant the "old questions" as in those that were in the book. I didn't realize that every question you do has the chance for showing up again--what a scam. I should buy the book, use the questions in the text, and return it because of the CD scam. At least one of us should benefit--lol.

On a more serious note though, are the 350 q's in the book good though? Are they more in vignette format or just straight up brs like q's?

Long Dong

My middle name is Duc.
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
The Best Coast
Status
Attending Physician
HiddenTruth said:
On a more serious note though, are the 350 q's in the book good though? Are they more in vignette format or just straight up brs like q's?
They appear to be more in the vignette format. If you want more vingettes blue prints and pre test have some too, but haven't done any them so can't comment still trying to get threw BSS.

Discobolus

Dutch-American
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
Red State
Status
I haven't taken the Step 1 so I can't compare it to the real thing, but the questions in the Goljan Rapid Review USMLE Step 1 book seemed very similar to the questions on the NBME Comprehensive Basic Science Examination. The questions in Blueprints USMLE Step 1 (another 350 question book), were also very similar. I find the questions in these 2 books to be much easier than some of the ridiculous questions in the Kaplan QBook.

hturany

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2005
Status
I've done 3 sets of 50 item tests from this book.
The explanations are really instructive.
I would recommend this book as an adjunct to another source of questions like qbank.

I haven't done the CD yet so can't comment

automaton

drone
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2004
assembly line
Status
FarEastGrapplr2 said:
are the questions only Path, or inclusive of all subjects?
the rapid review USMLE cd has questions about everything, not just pathology. the rapid review PATHOLOGY cd has questions just on pathology. (obviously)

i have a question for those that used the CD... is there any way to read explanations for questions you got CORRECT on quiz mode? i usually guess my ass off and i'd like to see more than just the incorrectly answered questions.

there is also a bug that prevents me from selecting answer choices on certain questions. is there any way around that?

HYJunkie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Status
is there any way to read explanations for questions you got CORRECT on quiz mode?
If there is, I couldn't find it :( Basically, the "program" sends you to a tutorial test loading only the wrong questions. This is very annoying.

there is also a bug that prevents me from selecting answer choices on certain questions.
Well... if we are still in the context of reviewing incorrect, it does seem to disallow checking your initial (wrong) answer. Indeed, I do want to see what they have to say about my choice (i.e. see how bad was it anyway), but this seems impossible.

Also, there is a bug that makes the entire "program" freeze upon clicking certain answers in certain questions (best guess: the explanation is missing or otherwise "malformed" for those items).

As someone pointed out, the interface is pathetic. They used some Macromedia presentation software, which is unprofessional to begin with. They left out several features that should be considered standard nowadays (ability to create profiles, ability to remember already viewed items, etc) They were definitely in a big rush. And got away with it :) Mosby has yet to conquer the marvels of modern technology... :)

Kluver_Bucy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2005
Status
I just looked at these questions and they seem very good. It is strange because there are only 9 sections of 50 questions in the tutorial mode. That means 450 questions total. The book says 1050. Where are the 600 other questions?

Anyone else use this CD and somehow get through 1050 questions?