Good 0-6 pharmd school with lowest attrition rate

Started by viv94
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

viv94

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have read that 0-6 pharmD programs usually have high attrition rate. My second daughter is looking for a good 0-6 pharmD school. She has 2120 on SAT, 1330 for CR+M, and 3.8 GPA. Her number one concern is the high attrition rate. I would appreciate if anyone could share a good 0-6 pharmd school with lowest attrition rate. Cost would only be second priority. Thanks in advance.
 
Keep in mind that most of the dropouts are from year 2 to year 3, which would kind of be the same as going from undergrad to pharmacy school in a traditional 2+4. From what I have heard, once you're in the final 4 years, all schools have pretty low attrition.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can do this urself, quicker. use aacp to find all of those programs, then use umm..a site on fafsa to find attrition rate for each school.
 
The graduation, retention and transfer rates on FAFSA will probably not be program-specific and I would be surprised if any individual degree programs actually disclose them.
 
I haven't seen attrition rates posted but NAPLEX pass is a pretty useful metric for judging pharmacy schools imo. also, established schools (job placement/repuation+++) with additional majors might be good as well (in case she doesnt like pharmacy, she can xfer easily).
 
The graduation, retention and transfer rates on FAFSA will probably not be program-specific and I would be surprised if any individual degree programs actually disclose them.

True. I verified it on nces.ed.gov/

I haven't seen attrition rates posted but NAPLEX pass is a pretty useful metric for judging pharmacy schools imo. also, established schools (job placement/repuation+++) with additional majors might be good as well (in case she doesnt like pharmacy, she can xfer easily).

Agreed. It may not be as accurate to associate the quality of a program to its attrition rate as these factors mentioned. If your daughter is absolutely sure about pharmacy, does the high attrition rate really matter? Is it correct to assume high attrition rate means inferior quality?
 
If your daughter is absolutely sure about pharmacy, does the high attrition rate really matter? Is it correct to assume high attrition rate means inferior quality?
Yeah, if anything I would think it could mean that it's a harder program and people drop out or their admission standards are too low so they let some idiots in who can't hack it. Generally a good student doesn't leave a school because they think they are getting a poor education, or there aren't enough people to sit with them at lunch. This is all speculation of course, just kind of brainstorming reasons somebody would leave a program, no data to back this up. I don't think you could find a good correlation that a certain school had more students leave due to changing their mind about the profession, family problems, unplanned pregnancies, etc. I would think most that leave a program are due to those personal issues, rather than something with the school itself.
 
I have read that 0-6 pharmD programs usually have high attrition rate. My second daughter is looking for a good 0-6 pharmD school. She has 2120 on SAT, 1330 for CR+M, and 3.8 GPA. Her number one concern is the high attrition rate. I would appreciate if anyone could share a good 0-6 pharmd school with lowest attrition rate. Cost would only be second priority. Thanks in advance.

I go to Rutgers Pharmacy class of 2014 and to simply answer your question, our attrition rate is high. We lost about the 1/3 of the class from 1st year to 3rd year.

However, that doesnt tell the whole story. Attrition is higher simply because kids don't know what they want to do in their lives. It is hard to make a decision like only pharmacy directly out of high school. Many of my friends left because they didn't like pharmacy, forced because of parents, rather become teachers, doctors, and business. Of course, you have people that get thrown out the program, but your daughter seems to be a hard worker (judging from her grades) that it shouldn't be a concern.

As a pharmacy student, a high attrition rate should be the LEAST of her concerns. Is she looking for an easy school or something? Pharmacy school (in general) is hard and you have to be willing to study and work. You can PM me for any questions and I can give more insight.
 
Well, the 0 - 6 year school I went to had about a 50% attrition rate my first year. This was decades ago. I think my class set a school record at that time for highest attrition rates of a 1st year class. I can tell you though, 90% of those who didn't come back, didn't come back because they spent the *entire* year partying.

As others have said, I wouldn't worry about the attrition rate & Far more important is the board passage rate (NABPLEX.) It doesn't matter if the school is easy to graduate from, if you end up flunking & having to retake the board....perhaps more than once. Look at it this way, schools *want* to keep their paying students, they will usually work with them, as long as the student is willing & there is any hope they might eventually pass. There were students in my class who were strung along far pass the point they should have flunked out......taking on a lot of extra debt, and never getting the degree. Far better to find out first year that you can't do the work, and to flunk out, instead of spending 2 - 3 or more years getting debt without any degree.