Good 1 year hemepath programs for private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbb222

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some 1 year hemepath programs that are less research-oriented and better in terms of preparation for private/community practice? Seems like some of the programs with big names emphasize research a lot and I can't find much on the web with regards to the quality of the smaller programs.

Members don't see this ad.

What are some 1 year hemepath programs that are less research-oriented and better in terms of preparation for private/community practice? Seems like some of the programs with big names emphasize research a lot and I can't find much on the web with regards to the quality of the smaller programs.

Any good one year program has two years so you can do a year of research and prepare yourself for a career in academics.

To the OP, I'm going to make two assumptions from your post

a) you want to be board certified in hemepath
b) you want to go into private practice

If this is the case, then look for programs in which the graduates pass the hemepath boards, and those in the geographic location you're interested in. Many private practice jobs are not posted, and are known by word of mouth. Alumni from nearby academic institutions who are in private practice keep connections with these programs and ask around first before posting job adverts. Whether these academic programs are research-oriented or not does not matter for you as the individual, as long as you become board certified.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any independent way of finding out the various pass rates of the programs or it's basically what they're willing to tell you?

To the OP, I'm going to make two assumptions from your post

a) you want to be board certified in hemepath
b) you want to go into private practice

If this is the case, then look for programs in which the graduates pass the hemepath boards, and those in the geographic location you're interested in. Many private practice jobs are not posted, and are known by word of mouth. Alumni from nearby academic institutions who are in private practice keep connections with these programs and ask around first before posting job adverts. Whether these academic programs are research-oriented or not does not matter for you as the individual, as long as you become board certified.

I don't think boards pass rates are indicative of program quality. Diligent fellows pass boards, even in marginal programs.

I guess I overestimated how tough the HP board exam is..

From the ABP 2010 newsletter the 2009 pass rates were:
Total Candidates 88% pass rate
First-Time Takers 92% pass rate

So, I stand corrected...just get into an ACGME accredited hemepath program in your desired geographic location.

Last edited: