Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Good away rotations in SE?

Discussion in 'PM&R' started by ermonty, Dec 14, 2005.

1. ermonty

ermonty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm a third year currently trying to plan my fourth year. PM&R is in my differential, and I need to do an away rotation to check out the field, as my institution doesn't have a PM&R department. I'd prefer to stay in the SE, though I'd be willing to go most anywhere. I'd like a program where I can get a good look at the various subsets of PM&R, have a good month and see if the specialty is for me, and if so, possibly get some strong letters of recommendation. Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks!

Monty

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cyanocobalamin

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How about bigtown, GA? - i.e. Atlanta at Emory's program. They give preference to people who rotate through there. Nice complex on Clifton Rd, peds at Eggleston, geri at Wesley Woods, what more could you ask for? Just remember - if I'm in a crash send me to Grady! Charlotte seems popular though they are more 'community.' UVA is an up an coming program. Dr. Kerrigan, the chair was instrumental in starting the program at Harvard - she's an excellent conversationalist and really cranking UVA into high gear and the facility is gourgeous. MCV is good too. UNC is a new program, rumors are that Dr. Lee the PD might be moving on to another post in a cold, midwestern state.

4. ermonty

ermonty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks Cyano! I was thinking Emory most likely. I just hadn't heard much about the 'community' aspect of the program, as you put it. I've read good things about the Carolinas program. I'm probably looking at rotating at one of the programs you mentioned. Anyone have more insight into the SE programs? Thanks!

Monty

5. Atlantic

Atlantic Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd recommend Emory, Univ of Alabama, Charlotte Institute of Rehab, or VCU. After interviewing mainly in the southeast, these stood out as the particulary strong, well-rounded programs (with model systems, variety of patient pathology, and well known faculty). These were also the places that other program directors had mentioned as good programs. UVA and UNC were both smaller and may not have the breadth of patient pathology that you'll see at these other places...although they have their own strengths (i.e. UVA is big on outpatient musculoskeletal). Just my two cents.