Good books about dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joeqwertyui

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i'm trying to find some good books about dental school and dentistry in general for brother who's contemplating a career change so if anyone knows any good ones let me know. I've already bought How to get into the right dental school and the ADA's official guide to ds but i took a glance at both these and they really did not say much about the occupation in general.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, i'm trying to find some good books about dental school and dentistry in general for brother who's contemplating a career change so if anyone knows any good ones let me know. I've already bought How to get into the right dental school and the ADA's official guide to ds but i took a glance at both these and they really did not say much about the occupation in general.

i dont thnk theres a book in the world than can truly portray the career of dentistry... your best bet is to go around... let your brother shadow dentists... and see for himself what the field is all about... patient interaction, actual dental procedures, work schedule, etc. I dont think you can find a book that'll help your brother grasp the idea just by reading something that some people wrote...

my advise:
1) shadow
2) personal interviews (maybe dentists you might know)
3) visit your nearest dental school program

good luck

i dont thnk theres a book in the world than can truly portray the career of dentistry... your best bet is to go around... let your brother shadow dentists... and see for himself what the field is all about... patient interaction, actual dental procedures, work schedule, etc. I dont think you can find a book that'll help your brother grasp the idea just by reading something that some people wrote...

my advise:
1) shadow
2) personal interviews (maybe dentists you might know)
3) visit your nearest dental school program

good luck

Thank you, I agree with your advise although from my experience literature often offers a much broader and less biased approach when it complements your advise

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN is a good resource. I have outlined the first year at my website. you could browse through it and see if you like it. Wish him luck in his decision.

DMDstudent.com

Wikipedia is also a decent resource. I would also HIGHLY recommend shadowing several (4+) dentists. Find some that are fresh out of school and some that have been in the biz for 20 years and are succesful - drives a porsche...just kidding. I am sure you get my drift.:D

SDN is a good resource. I have outlined the first year at my website. you could browse through it and see if you like it. Wish him luck in his decision.

DMDstudent.com

Wikipedia is also a decent resource. I would also HIGHLY recommend shadowing several (4+) dentists. Find some that are fresh out of school and some that have been in the biz for 20 years and are succesful - drives a porsche...just kidding. I am sure you get my drift.:D

Cool page. I wish kids from all schools would have a page just like yours. It will most doubtably help with students thinking of goint to temple. I don't know how well known your page is but if its not a common known page here on SDN you should post it in the pre-allow forum. Anyway thanks again for the inside view.