Good books for path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting Pathology and micro next term in January. Any recommendations for pathology materials?

-Good text books (robbins, gojan?)
-Good review-type books (BRSish books)
-any good pdfs floating around?
-Good practice question books?
-Good board type books (kaplan or whatever else exists)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm using: BRS Path, Rapid Review Path, Robbins Review of Pathology, and Webpath. BRS and RR are good board reviews and are essentially what we need to know for our exams. Robbins Review and Webpath are good sources for questions.

You might want to add on Big Robbins for the pictures but you could just get by with the online version if your school subscribes to studentconsult.

Medium Robbins is real solid. It's no so huge as to be overwhelming, but it contains all the necessary info, good pictures, and well written.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm using: BRS Path, Rapid Review Path, Robbins Review of Pathology, and Webpath.

damn, i had that many textbooks for like all of MS1 and 2.... :rolleyes:

Like was said, if your school has access to mdconsult.com, you can get Robbins for free. I like Robbins, because I am better at reading quickly and getting 80% of the detail rather than going slowly through a review book and learning every word.

Despite so many people raving about RR Path (Goljen), remember that the book is a REVIEW and is not, I repeat IS NOT a primary textbook. The short-on-detail outline format will drive you crazy if you're learning for the first time.

Webpath is great for pictures. Also, professors are lazy so half your exam pictures will come from there since profs just grab them off of google.

Lilly's pathophysiology of heart disease is one of the greatest path books ever written. Highly recommended if you have a CV block.

I used Robbins in second year med school (caveat: 5 years ago) and thought it was very helpful. At our school, though, most of the exam questions came from the lecture notes so I hit those the hardest. If that is the case at your school, then make sure you know the lecture notes backwards and forwards before you use a supplemental text, etc. such as Robbins as icing on the cake.

damn, i had that many textbooks for like all of MS1 and 2.... :rolleyes:

Like was said, if your school has access to mdconsult.com, you can get Robbins for free. I like Robbins, because I am better at reading quickly and getting 80% of the detail rather than going slowly through a review book and learning every word.

Despite so many people raving about RR Path (Goljen), remember that the book is a REVIEW and is not, I repeat IS NOT a primary textbook. The short-on-detail outline format will drive you crazy if you're learning for the first time.

Webpath is great for pictures. Also, professors are lazy so half your exam pictures will come from there since profs just grab them off of google.

Lilly's pathophysiology of heart disease is one of the greatest path books ever written. Highly recommended if you have a CV block.

I find RR Path a great way to go through after I learn the material at a decent level from lectures and the course syllabus. Some people are turned off by outlines but I love resources that are succinct yet very thorough. Textbooks are just too much of a time commitment.