Good books of magazines for pre-optometry students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmu preopt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up my sophomore year of undergrad and just got an optometrist mentor for the summer. I say mentor because it is a non paying position just a doctor I will see 2-3 times a week and he will teach me the basics. So right now I am looking for some reading material that will help me, maybe give me general knowledge about optometry. Books, magazines, or anything else that may help. :)

Thank You,
nmu preopt

Members don't see this ad.

nmu preopt said:
I am finishing up my sophomore year and just got an optometrist mentor for the summer. I say mentor because it is not a paying position just a doctor I will see 2-3 times a week and he will teach me some things that will help me get admitted to optometry school and give me general knowledge about the practice. So right now I am looking for some reading material that will help me, maybe give me general knowledge about optometry. Books, magazines, or anything else that may help. :)

Thank You,
Ben LaForce

all online ..................

IJO - Indiana Journal of Optometry

http://www.opt.indiana.edu/IndJOpt/index.htm

for general info

www.allaboutvision.com
http://www.revoptom.com/

There's a bunch more - that's some off the top of my head

hope it helps :thumbup:

This here forum you are on right now is an invaluable resource to start with. Read through ealier posts, very insightful.

another website...
www.opted.org

Members don't see this ad :)
nmu preopt said:
I am finishing up my sophomore year and just got an optometrist mentor for the summer. I say mentor because it is not a paying position just a doctor I will see 2-3 times a week and he will teach me some things that will help me get admitted to optometry school and give me general knowledge about the practice. So right now I am looking for some reading material that will help me, maybe give me general knowledge about optometry. Books, magazines, or anything else that may help. :)

Thank You,
Ben LaForce
I read Time magazine prior to applying to opto school...but if i could go back in time, I would read FHM and some opto journals on the side...nothing too intense otherwise the jargon's going to get too complex.

ucbsowarrior

I would suggest reading some of the more business oriented article and stay away from the medical ones. During my first year I picked up a few disease articles or procedural ones and they made no sense to me. So I stuck to the business ones b/c I could at least understand most of the words. Now, I can pick up a journalyou and read most any article and at least get the gist of it (I'm now finishing my 2nd year at ICO). I'm not saying it all makes sense yet, but at least I'm not frustrated by reading them anymore.

Summary:
I encourage you to read about the profession, but don't try to dive into some retinal pathology article.

Sounds like most things are online. Ive looked into some books from my library (all very out dated). Im pretty new to this forum but al-majhul you make a good point, this is a great place to get information. I have already spent a few hours reading peoples posts and theres some great info here. Thanks to everyone thats helped me out.

nmu preopt