Good CBT Practice Tests besides AAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMula

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already taken AAMC 3, 4, and 5 and I'm registered for June 5th.

What CBT practice tests do you guys recommend? I want to start taking at least 1 a week, and save the AAMC ones for when I get closer to the exam (maybe 7/6 weeks out).

I've read some old threads and it seems like Berkley CBTs are the best, because they are more challenging than the actual MCAT...not sure if this still holds true...any advice/opinions?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

TBR is pretty good. But what I hate about it is that some questions are very poorly worded and there are a few errors in their explanations. Actually, many. They ask questions in a way that AAMC will never do. But, they make you think very hard. It's pretty annoying, but it helps develop intuition + critical thinking skills.

Here's your priorities:

1. Do the AAMC full exams
2. Do the AAMC self-assessment packages
3. Re-do the AAMC full exams

If you're really desperate for practice material, do the free MCAT offered by Kaplan and the free on offered by Princeton Review. After all, they're free.

Beyond that, the choice is Gold Standard or Berkeley. They both have pro's and con's. TBR's higher quality but also more expensive, and you'll get much more limited access. GS is lower quality, but cheaper and you'll have longer access.

Good luck!

TBR is pretty good. But what I hate about it is that some questions are very poorly worded and there are a few errors in their explanations. Actually, many. They ask questions in a way that AAMC will never do. But, they make you think very hard. It's pretty annoying, but it helps develop intuition + critical thinking skills.
Were your TBR CBT scores similar to your AAMC practice test scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's your priorities:

If you're really desperate for practice material, do the free MCAT offered by Kaplan and the free on offered by Princeton Review. After all, they're free.

Beyond that, the choice is Gold Standard or Berkeley. They both have pro's and con's. TBR's higher quality but also more expensive, and you'll get much more limited access. GS is lower quality, but cheaper and you'll have longer access.

Good luck!

Wow. Redo AAMCs, I have heard that multiple times. Why should we not do practice with like other companies FLs? I figure it solidifies the material no?

Here's your priorities:

Good luck!

Wow. Redo AAMCs, I have heard that multiple times. Why should we not do practice with like other companies FLs? I figure it solidifies the material no?

I would also like a reply on this because I was planning to do 4 BR CBTs, and then redo my lowest scoring AAMCs (3, 5, 8) but review all the other ones as well. I have taken the MCAT before last year in april so technically I have already retaken the AAMCs (except 3 and 5) for when I studied for the January test. However, since I decided to void, I would be re-re-taking them (3 and 5 would be 1st retake)?

It's a waste of time to redo AAMC FLs in a short period of time.
You are supposed to review after taking these exams, so you will remember almost all answers if you redo them in a few weeks. It's a different story if you are gonna retake them after a few months though. But that's only when you are planning to retake MCAT. I'd rather take other FLs. You can alternate between TBR and AAMC FLs. That's what I do.

It's a different story if you are gonna retake them after a few months though.

That's absolutely right. The Practice Effect is when you re-assess using the same assessment and the subject's performance increases, not because any underlying thing has changed, but rather b/c they've just seen that assessment.

The rule of thumb is about 3.5 months for the practice effect to fade (which is why, for example, a professor in a normal semester-long class could give the same test as a diagnostic and as a final). So if it's been 3-4 months, re-take the AAMC test. You may have vague feeling of "seems familiar" but that feeling won't raise your score.

I did my AAMCs only once, but I did keep in mind to redo them+maybe TBR if I got the chance if I scored low on my Jan 25th exam. I used only AAMC and a mixture of the Kaplan exams, like 2 of the later hard exams and 3 of the "recommended by Sn2ed" exams.

I am taking the MCAT on April 24th. I have just finished going through all 7 of the BR CBTs. IMO they were great for practice and getting your timing down. They also have been helpful for me in learning to answer a question that I am not sure of and move on. They have a lot of passages in both PS and BS that are very wordy and off-the-wall. It has taught me to skim through the material quickly, yet thoroughly, and to answer questions fast. I will be taking AAMC 10 and 11 this weekend. I am hoping my scores will have improved after going through all 7 BR CBTs. I would also recommend buying the AAMC official MCAT book, which is only about 35$. They have good questions in there as well. I have been doing passages and timing myself .