Good Embryology book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutedoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey..do you guys know of any good Embryo books? what book do you suggest?...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

cutedoc said:
Hey..do you guys know of any good Embryo books? what book do you suggest?...thanks

High Yield Embryo is very popular, I personally like BRS as well.... but what I find works the best is going through lecture notes/transcriptions along w/ the prof's presentation.. then answering the questions in the review book.

If you are hardcore though- read Langman's.

Also, Langman's comes w/ a Simbryo CD which has very cool and helpful animations.

I like The Developing Human by Moore and Persaud as a text. High-Yield Embryology is a good review book.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll repeat High Yield and Moore if u want better detail.

Moore and Persaud's text is good, as others have said. If you want exam-style multiple choice questions, their Review of Medical Embryology is pretty good for that. Good luck!

getunconcsious said:
Moore and Persaud's text is good, as others have said. If you want exam-style multiple choice questions, their Review of Medical Embryology is pretty good for that. Good luck!

i agree. i have Moore and Persaud and it's good.

I have Langman's Medical Embryology and High Yield Embryology. Langman's is more comprehensive (because it's not a review book), but, to be fair, I haven't really looked at the HYE book very much.

high yield embryo is all you need for step 1...probably would've been all you need for basic science years too.

High yield embryology = fantastic. You won't have time to read anything else. Besides, you need to buy it for Step 1 anyway, so you might as well buy it for cheap now.

ashylips said:
i agree. i have Moore and Persaud and it's good.

The best part is the (p)review at the beginning of chapters. It's great for when you didn't quite get around to studying embryo as much as you should have.

skiz knot said:
The best part is the (p)review at the beginning of chapters. It's great for when you didn't quite get around to studying embryo as much as you should have.

I HATED Moore...I found that the info from lecture plus BRS Embryo was more than enough for the class. The BRS Embryo book is also a very pretty color.

Larsen's embryo textbook is INCREDIBLY well-written. I used it as a ref when I didn't understand some of the lecture.

I also highly recommend High Yield Embryology (and the Moore book for extra pictures--don't even bother reading this book, just use it for the extra pictures)

Obviously you are still going to review your lecture notes, so High Yield Embryology will be a nice review to supplement and enhance your studying.

GL :luck:

-tx

txguy said:
I also highly recommend High Yield Embryology (and the Moore book for extra pictures--don't even bother reading this book, just use it for the extra pictures)

Obviously you are still going to review your lecture notes, so High Yield Embryology will be a nice review to supplement and enhance your studying.

GL :luck:

-tx
brs embryo is better for class bc it is more detailed, has better pictures, and has review questions. HY does not. so if u are like me and learn best from pics&questions probably best to go with brs&simbryp, but this also depends on the depth of your embyro class.

fun8stuff said:
brs embryo is better for class bc it is more detailed, has better pictures, and has review questions. HY does not. so if u are like me and learn best from pics&questions probably best to go with brs&simbryp, but this also depends on the depth of your embyro class.

Hehe....unfortunately my school goes pretty in depth in embryology! :scared:

I do see the benefits...but studyin embryology is just so painful!

-tx

I H-A-T-E embryo! I don't know why, but I am so disinterested in that class. Even worse, Persaud (who wrote the book) teaches my class here at St. George in Grenada. He's tough and he knows EVERYTHING, so I feel like I need to learn that whole book.

I find the BRS helps break stuff down a lot. Twisting and splitting and folding... oh my! :)

does cutedoc go to RFU/CMS?

txguy said:
Hehe....unfortunately my school goes pretty in depth in embryology! :scared:

I do see the benefits...but studyin embryology is just so painful!

-tx

sso does mine! i am glad we finally finished it last friday. i like the heart and clinical stuff, but that's it. I despised all that other crap- ectoderm, endoerm, coelomic mesoderm, intraembryonic mesoderm, blahh blahb lah Zzzzzzzz.......

I actually think Moore and Persaud is marginal. I like Langman's 7th edition. I think overall that any embryology needs some sort of 3D visual aid to enhance it. Take for example development of body form, it took me a while just to conceptualize the notocord and primitive streak formation. Do any of your med schools out there have such 3D animations or software?

Langmans is good if you like indept stuff.
High Yield is good for rapid revision.
There's a nice program for macs called mac baby not sure where you can get it and unfortunately it's on my broken laptop