good enough gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmoosavi41

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'll get right to it. I started off my college career with a pretty weak freshman year (2.87) but i slowly got better during my sophomore year and after my junior year, had a 3.36 overall gpa with a science gpa a little lower. i was planning on applying to dental schools after my junior year but didn't do well on the DAT so decided not to waste the money on application fees and apply the next cycle. i was hoping i could use my senior year to raise my gpa even more but it looks like i'm gonna end up graduating with a 3.36 overall because i didn't do so well in statistics class (C-) that is required for my major.

basically what i'm saying....assuming i improve my DAT, is a 3.36 overall a competitive enough gpa to get into a lot of schools? some schools i'll be applying to are UMDNJ, temple, boston, tufts, nyu, and maryland among others.

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat, mine is a 3.37 >_<

I had a 3.40 overall, 3.24 science, and 3.14 bcp and got 6 pre-dec interviews. Just be sure to rock the DAT (21+) and include a quality PS, letters, and ec's.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the responses. i had a 3.37 going into the year but since i didn't do so well in that statistics class (C-), my gpa is going down to around a 3.3 this semester but i'll be able to pull it back up to around a 3.37 again but i'm just bummed. i was hoping that if i did really well this year, i could end up applying with something close to a 3.5 :mad:

try to do as best as you can to finish out the year. i have similar stats as the above and also was able to get 6 pre dec interviews. try to submit your app as early as possible!!!

I know from experience that a 3.3+ overall is competitive enough to get in. The science GPA can be a bit lower than a 3.3 as well. This, good EC's, and a good DAT score will get you an interview somewhere.