Good Fourth Year Psych Away Rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quasimodo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on where I should schedule my away rotations? I'm a third year student who is definately going into psychiatry. I'm hoping to go to a top tier residency program but don't want the stress of "auditioning", especially since I have no idea where I would like to go. Basically looking to do a rotation at any major academic program (preferably in a nice city where you don't need a car) where there will be ample contact with attendings who enjoy teaching medical students. I appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

quasimodo said:
(preferably in a nice city where you don't need a car)

As far as I know...this would pretty much limit your options to NYC...although I'm not sure that NYC could be aptly described as a "nice" city. "Awesome" would be more like it, IMHO. :)

I did a rotation in the consultation department at Mass General and I loved it. You learn a tremendous amount and have a great deal of autonomy. The only negatives are that it is the busiest rotation for the 3rd year residents, so they are incredibly busy. It is also a bit of an audition rotation. If you do a good job though, a letter from someone in that department goes a long way. I ended up getting an interview at every program I applied to (18 in all) and several were top tier.

NYU has a number of month-long electives; among them, most of the worthwhile ones are located at Bellevue. The places to see there are the CPEP and Forensics, which is the one I chose. It was a great month, with very fascinating and unique cases. Half of the patients came in from NYPD, the other half from Rikers Island. Teaching on the unit was superb and exposure to the residents was frequennt. I sat in on weekly didactics with the PGY2 class and was able to get a flavor for things. It was easy to arrange with NYU.

Cornell has a sub-I on the inpatient unit, 11N, which is essentially an audition elective. Visiting students get geriatric and adolescent patients, a good mix, and are supervised by attendings who also participate in the selection committee. You could do an elective at the Westchester site if your interest is in Geri or Peds; teaching there is dynamite, though you probably make fewer valuable connections in the long run.

I don't know about Columbia because my application never went through (they did cash my $100 check anyway, though... thanks guys). You will need a letter of recommendation just to get a foot in the door -- so start planning early. It probably is best to avoid child psych there, because you'd be at the new Children's Hospital, and away from the key attendings and residents who tend to concregate in Milstein or on Riverside Drive. Otherwise I don't think you could go wrong.

Whether you realize it or not, most visiting student electives are an audition of sorts. However, as long as you're a decent applicant all-around, a visiting student elective shouldn't make or break your chances of getting an interview at the institution of choice, or anywhere for that matter. Good luck next year!