Good GPA and MCAT but unsure of schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CallMeMulan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, SDN!

I earlier asked for advice about this, but did not have MCAT scores so that was silly. Here's my info:

4.0 GPA
516 MCAT
170 hours of shadowing
120 hours clinical volunteering
200 hours of a supervisory role in a hospital clinical research program
AMSA volunteer coordinator for two years
Honors Facilitator for incoming freshman (teach a class and act as a mentor)
1 week abroad as a medical interpreter (I am not professional by any means, and yes I have many criticisms of medical tourism)
50 hours volunteering with safe rides on campus
2 years of research on campus in a marijuana lab studying feeding behavior
Certificate of Global Competencies
Neuroscience major, Spanish and Biology minor
Currently getting CNA certification to work during my planned gap year

I live in Washington State and I am interested in both MD and DO schools. Any suggestions as to where I should apply?

I've been told my greatest weakness is my age, which is part of why I am taking a gap year. It will give me to time make money, get real life work experience, plan my wedding, and get a little older (I am 20 now - will be 21 when interviewing)

I am open to any and all suggestions!! Thank you so much for taking your time to do this

Members don't see this ad.

Your best chances are at your 2 Washington public schools. What other areas of the country interest you? Do you have a tentative list of schools that you may apply to?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello, SDN!

I earlier asked for advice about this, but did not have MCAT scores so that was silly. Here's my info:

4.0 GPA
516 MCAT
170 hours of shadowing
120 hours clinical volunteering
200 hours of a supervisory role in a hospital clinical research program
AMSA volunteer coordinator for two years
Honors Facilitator for incoming freshman (teach a class and act as a mentor)
1 week abroad as a medical interpreter (I am not professional by any means, and yes I have many criticisms of medical tourism)
50 hours volunteering with safe rides on campus
2 years of research on campus in a marijuana lab studying feeding behavior
Certificate of Global Competencies
Neuroscience major, Spanish and Biology minor
Currently getting CNA certification to work during my planned gap year

I live in Washington State and I am interested in both MD and DO schools. Any suggestions as to where I should apply?

I've been told my greatest weakness is my age, which is part of why I am taking a gap year. It will give me to time make money, get real life work experience, plan my wedding, and get a little older (I am 20 now - will be 21 when interviewing)

I am open to any and all suggestions!! Thank you so much for taking your time to do this
ECs appear to be a bit weak if you want to aim high. Yours say aim high, so in your gap year, focus on service to others less fortunate than yourself and getting some more clinical exposure (NOT shadowing).

I recommend:

U VM
U Toledo
USF Morsani
OH State
UCF
U Cincy
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Mayo
Duke
Case
Cornell
Mt Sinai
Columbia
Pitt
Hofstra
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
U WA
WSU

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best chances are at your 2 Washington public schools. What other areas of the country interest you? Do you have a tentative list of schools that you may apply to?
Hello, Faha!

I am most interested in staying as close to the Pacific Northwest as possible. I just really like it over here. I have an excel sheet that I have slowly been chipping away at all the schools using MSAR... I guess it just takes time :)

ECs appear to be a bit weak if you want to aim high. Yours say aim high, so in your gap year, focus on service to others less fortunate than yourself and getting some more clinical exposure (NOT shadowing).

I recommend:

U VM
U Toledo
USF Morsani
OH State
UCF
U Cincy
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Mayo
Duke
Case
Cornell
Mt Sinai
Columbia
Pitt
Hofstra
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
U WA
WSU

Thanks, Goro!

I had been counting on that all of my clinical volunteering (which I apologize for not clarifying) had been for a critical access hospital, to emphasize the underserved / rural aspect of medicine (which I am very interested in). I appreciate your input! I plan to volunteer at a Women's Shelter in my hometown during my gap year, so hopefully that can help fill in that gap where necessary.

I am not looking for the most competitive schools, I just want a good fit for my goals as a primary care physician in an underserved area (I'm thinking a predominantly Latino community). But no harm in making my application as strong as it can be!

Thanks again! I'll look into all these different schools - I hadn't even considered the military one before

Reactions: 1 user