good gpa, unbalanced MCAT. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ham5038

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA- 3.63
SGPA- 3.40

Majors: Supply Chain (Business) and Integrative Arts. Premed coursework on the side

Work-
Pharmacy Tech (community pharmacy) 2years
US Navy - Business Intern 3 summers
Tyco Electronics - Business Intern 1 summer (current)

EC's-
Shadowing a DO twice (unfortunate timing precluded me from more visits)
Volunteering at a home for mental health/mental ******ation patients
Volunteering for the Seeing Eye raising dogs for the blind
Homecoming/Penn State Dance MaraTHON photo captains/committee leaders
Worked in the PSU Digital Photo lab for 3+ semesters
Will be working with the research dept to shoot photos for their publications
Webmaster, Homecoming Chair, Fundraising Co-Chair for AKPsi (business frat)

No research experience

MCAT- I got a 25M (9/10/6 :mad: ) I'm retaking 9/11 to bring up my scores

LOR's- good/great letters, some faculty, some previous employers (pharmacy), one DO LOR from a shadowing experience

I'm a PA resident looking at these schools:

U of New England
Demoins
Nova Southeastern
Virginia College of Osteo
Midwestern IL
New York College of Osteo
AT Still (Kirksvile and Arizona)
KCUMB
Michigan State COM
PCOM - both
Ohio University

I'm just wondering what my chances are given my low essay and BS MCAT scores and lack of research. I was late in my realization that I wanted to go to med school. Thanks for any and all help!

Members don't see this ad.

to my knowledge almost all schools require each individual section to be at minimum above a 7. Its best if it is balanced but at minimum they have to be all above 7.

You don't have to retake if you are only applying for DO. 25 is average for a lot of DO school believe it or not.

GPA- 3.63
SGPA- 3.40

Majors: Supply Chain (Business) and Integrative Arts. Premed coursework on the side

Work-
Pharmacy Tech (community pharmacy) 2years
US Navy - Business Intern 3 summers
Tyco Electronics - Business Intern 1 summer (current)

EC's-
Shadowing a DO twice (unfortunate timing precluded me from more visits)
Volunteering at a home for mental health/mental ******ation patients
Volunteering for the Seeing Eye raising dogs for the blind
Homecoming/Penn State Dance MaraTHON photo captains/committee leaders
Worked in the PSU Digital Photo lab for 3+ semesters
Will be working with the research dept to shoot photos for their publications
Webmaster, Homecoming Chair, Fundraising Co-Chair for AKPsi (business frat)

No research experience

MCAT- I got a 25M (9/10/6 :mad: ) I'm retaking 9/11 to bring up my scores

LOR's- good/great letters, some faculty, some previous employers (pharmacy), one DO LOR from a shadowing experience

I'm a PA resident looking at these schools:

U of New England
Demoins
Nova Southeastern
Virginia College of Osteo
Midwestern IL
New York College of Osteo
AT Still (Kirksvile and Arizona)
KCUMB
Michigan State COM
PCOM - both
Ohio University

I'm just wondering what my chances are given my low essay and BS MCAT scores and lack of research. I was late in my realization that I wanted to go to med school. Thanks for any and all help!

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to retake if you are only applying for DO. 25 is average for a lot of DO school believe it or not.

Close but a bit off, 26.19 is the mean average of all DO schools, but if your looking at competitive schools like CCOM, NYCOM, UNJDM, KCUMB, you'll see the average hovering at around 27-29.

To the OP remember that OhioU requires you to sign a 5 year contract to workin Ohio after residency. PCOM favors the North East and so does UNECON( though they favor more the New England region in itself). You might want to consider whether applying early is more important then retaking and possibly getting a few extra points. So think about it, 25 with applying right now. Or applying in October. ( check your schools for mcat cut off's).

Last edited:

Even if that was the average, the breakdown of sections also counts. As an above poster said, anything below a 7 in any section is probably going to get screened out automatically. The total score in itself doesn't mean as much as the breakdown, necessarily.

Even if that was the average, the breakdown of sections also counts. As an above poster said, anything below a 7 in any section is probably going to get screened out automatically. The total score in itself doesn't mean as much as the breakdown, necessarily.

I had several interviews with a 6 on the physical sciences section (8 on BS, and 11 on VR). Like you, I got a 25, but I got an R on the writing (which I'm told is not weighed heavily). I was accepted with this score with a late application on the first try. Don't fret, most school screen you out if you're lower than a 6 on any section, not a 7. I had a worse GPA than you, but did significant research and shadowing. No way to tell which factors or more important. Apply broadly and apply NOW, since it's getting later and later. Go for it. =)

I had several interviews with a 6 on the physical sciences section (8 on BS, and 11 on VR). Like you, I got a 25, but I got an R on the writing (which I'm told is not weighed heavily). I was accepted with this score with a late application on the first try. Don't fret, most school screen you out if you're lower than a 6 on any section, not a 7. I had a worse GPA than you, but did significant research and shadowing. No way to tell which factors or more important. Apply broadly and apply NOW, since it's getting later and later. Go for it. =)

Agreed, applying early might be worth more then a extra 2 points.

You should be able to get into DO school with these stats. My science GPA < 3.0 I got in to Touro - NV, KCUMB, had interviews at Kirksville and in West Virginia. BUT I applied early, I was already accepted by the third week of September. Apply ASAP.

You should be able to get into DO school with these stats. My science GPA < 3.0 I got in to Touro - NV, KCUMB, had interviews at Kirksville and in West Virginia. BUT I applied early, I was already accepted by the third week of September. Apply ASAP.

What was your MCAT breakdown, if you don't mind me asking?