Good GPA vs. AP Science classes?

SteinmetzMD

Hello, old sport!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be going into my senior year in high school, and was wondering about taking AP science courses.

I want to major in wBiology or Kinesiology for Pre-Med, would you guys suggest taking an AP Bio class next year? I really don't see the point if I can keep my GPA high for senior year, and in my knowledge the AP courses don't count on your application to medical school?

So should I take AP Bio or not?

Members don't see this ad.

I would take it! True, it doesn't count towards medical school, but that shouldn't deter you. After all, you may decide med school isn't your thing. If you do take it, you'll be able to see if bio is something you're interested in and could major in for four years.

IMO
High GPA > AP Classes

It really depends on how well you think you can do. If you think you're looking at less than a B-, don't take it. If you think you'll do B- or better, take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Part of me would rather not even chance it, stick with finishing with a high GPA, and start Biology anew when I get to college. Is it possible to start in college Bio classes with no AP experience?

By the way, the teacher at my school for the class is crazy! :cool:

I'll be going into my senior year in high school, and was wondering about taking AP science courses.

I want to major in wBiology or Kinesiology for Pre-Med, would you guys suggest taking an AP Bio class next year? I really don't see the point if I can keep my GPA high for senior year, and in my knowledge the AP courses don't count on your application to medical school?

Take AP Biology! lol. Also, you shouldn't really be worrying about medical school right now, it's a long road away focus on getting out of high school and college. Plus, if you're planning on majoring in biology, why not take AP Biology? I'm pretty sure you've taken a biology course, but that's nothing compared to what's ahead in college. By taking AP Biology, it sort of gives you a heads up on what a college course feels like, it's just to get your feet wet a little.

Hahahaha I love your picture man.

Anyways,

I am not American but I would encourage you to take the hardest courses possible in Highschool. WHILE maintaining a high enough GPA to get into your undergrad.

Kinesiology is a great program so is B.Sc in Bio w/ specilization in Health Sciences.

Those would be my choices (but know that you don't need a Science degree, you can get an arts for all anybody cares).

Good luck and work on keeping really busy (volunteering, working, studying, gf etc..) just so you aren't totally surprised when University comes around.

Is it possible to start in college Bio classes with no AP experience?

Absolutely. Intro college biology assumes no prior biology experience. My parents teach bio :)

Boo-yah, about time somebody commented on it! Would AP Bio help me at all in Kinesiology? Or are those totally different?
Just take it, you won't regret it when you skip to Bio II as a freshman in college. It will also build strong stud habits and get you ready for college level coursework! I am going to be a senior next year and I am taking it! It's going to be lots of fun!

Just take it, you won't regret it when you skip to Bio II as a freshman in college. It will also build strong stud habits and get you ready for college level coursework! I am going to be a senior next year and I am taking it! It's going to be lots of fun!

Doesn't the OP want to go to medical school?

He/she would have to take Bio I anyway if premed.

Would? AP Test would take care of Bio I... He can take Bio II and other higher level Bio classes instead and he will learn more bio indepth... That's just what I would do.

What do you mean AP course don't count on your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would? AP Test would take care of Bio I... He can take Bio II and other higher level Bio classes instead and he will learn more bio indepth... That's just what I would do.

What do you mean AP course don't count on your application?

Some medical schools will simply not allow AP credits to substitute the actual college level class. Premed advisors often recommend that you take the classes again, regardless of AP credit.

Last edited:
Psh, take a higher level bio course instead of Bio I and II. Medical schools won't mind that! Plus, you will get to enjoy more biology! Unless you don't like bio.

Some medical schools will simply not allow AP credits to substitute the actual college level class.

But if the OP takes further bio classes that point doesn't actually matter most of the time.

Is OP going to major in Biology? Honestly OP, it basically comes down to what classes you want to take in college. What is your major, minor, etc?

"I want to major in wBiology or Kinesiology for Pre-Med" - OP

Meeting with the counseler tomorrow to take AP. Thanks you guys! This is why I love this forum, we're all like a big loving family of future doctors :D

Meeting with the counseler tomorrow to take AP. Thanks you guys! This is why I love this forum, we're all like a big loving family of future doctors :D

Usually yes, but sometimes it can get a bit hostile. :(

That's exactly why I love sdn too! Some topics can get really hostile quick! But for the most part, fellow sdner's are good with maintaining professionalism!

22 more day's till I am a senior. lol! Kind of done with this year!

That's exactly why I love sdn too! Some topics can get really hostile quick! But for the most part, fellow sdner's are good with maintaining professionalism!

22 more day's till I am a senior. lol! Kind of done with this year!

22 days? I have 2 more months.

Dang! Oh yeah, forgot to mention our school is year round! Best part about going to school in AZ!

I'm supposed to be studying for the SATs right now but that's too overrated! :laugh:

Dang! Oh yeah, forgot to mention our school is year round! Best part about going to school in AZ!

I'm supposed to be studying for the SATs right now but that's too overrated! :laugh:

Whoa. That's a lot of school. :)

Lol, we get off on summer break usually around the end of may and start back up at the end of july!

Oh, so you do get summer break. That's actually about how much break we get up here in VT, but it's from the end of June to the end of August. We're on the same schedule but pushed back a month.