Good idea to study from BRS for exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowcat322

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if it's productive to use BRS books when studying for systems exams during the year. I'm reluctant to use them because I feel like our systems exams are way more detailed than the boards and the BRS series would probably not contain a lot of the details that we need to know, so I might as well study from notes/detailed texts. However, I'm worried that by not using BRS to study now, I'm putting myself at a disadvantage for the boards. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it really boils down to the tests at your school and your personal time constraints. For me.... I use both. I read, but not obsess over the detailed text. I read that along with the course of our dissections. So basically my font line is Moore/Netter/Dissector. After that I run through websites from other schools, virtual atlases/practicals, and BRS. I think the variety is what helps. You tend to pick up detail along the way for your tests and repetition burns the important things into your brain - hopefully for slightly longer term. :)

I studied mostly from lecture notes, but I used BRS (particularly Path) the night before tests for review of high-yield info. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend using the BRS questions to test your knowledge and learn what you don't know.

yellowcat322 said:
I'm trying to figure out if it's productive to use BRS books when studying for systems exams during the year. I'm reluctant to use them because I feel like our systems exams are way more detailed than the boards and the BRS series would probably not contain a lot of the details that we need to know, so I might as well study from notes/detailed texts. However, I'm worried that by not using BRS to study now, I'm putting myself at a disadvantage for the boards. Any thoughts?

Hi there,
BRS and other review books are just that, review books. You really cannot REVIEW, what you have not LEARNED in the first place. You should spend and know your class notes, syllabi and texts as completely as possible. If you have free time after learning your notes, syllabi and text, then skim BRS or any other review book.

When the time comes to study for USMLE, you will have ample time to review provided you have learned the material in the first place. I had basically two weeks to study and take USMLE Step I (I had a paid fellowship) and I rocked. I had done extremely well in my coursework however. Do not make the mistake of taking valuable time away from your primary learning trying to review. Your school has built into your schedule, plenty of review time.

njbmd :)

I agree with everyone that the BRS books aren't detailed enough for class exams. What I use 'em for though, is to "build a framework" for learning, i.e., they help make sense of the tons of class notes and get me up the learning curve faster. My usual process is to watch the lecture, read the notes, read review books, reread the notes, do practice questions, and reread the notes again. That strategy's served me pretty well so far for exams...it's a lot of work, but it pays off.

Thanks for all the responses. You guys made me feel a lot better about not using BRS right now. People keep telling me that its best to study from the same books you will use to review for Step 1, but I tend to agree with what njbmd said -- if I can learn it well now, it shouldn't matter that I haven't opened up BRS until I study for the boards.

P.S. Two weeks of studying for the boards takes a set of brass ones -- kudos on blowing it out of the water.

brs pathology is an excellent source for path review for step 1 and also brs phys

The BRS Anatomy book is pretty much what we use - well, that and a Netters (and possibly Rohan) atlas.

But then again... the guy that wrote the BRS Anatomy book is our course director. :p

I can't vouch for the other courses at this point. I only have the anatomy book at this point, but I am considering it for the others. It is very high yield, though, and the format may be distracting and not good for your first time through. It is the Board Review Series, after all. ;)

I love review books. Don't think that just b/c someone's using review books to study that they don't understand the material. If that was the case, they'd be bombing the class exams. Yes, understanding is very important. I just think you don't need to read page after page of Big Robbins to understand. I'm sticking with my BRS path, Goljan audio, and First Aid for path.

Oh yeah, BRS anatomy is very thorough. Not sure what else you'd want to learn in anatomy that's not in that book. To each their own. G'luck.

Amxcvbcv said:
The BRS Anatomy book is pretty much what we use - well, that and a Netters (and possibly Rohan) atlas.

But then again... the guy that wrote the BRS Anatomy book is our course director. :p

I can't vouch for the other courses at this point. I only have the anatomy book at this point, but I am considering it for the others. It is very high yield, though, and the format may be distracting and not good for your first time through. It is the Board Review Series, after all. ;)

Chung rocks! I actually learn well from his BRS, as long as I go through with a Netter's at the same time.

I also haven't used any other BRS books, but a friend has BRS Embryo, and I didn't like it as well.