Technology Good Laptop for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ribakop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to know what a good laptop would be for Med School.

Right now I'm looking at a MacBook Pro, Sony Vaio and Dell XPS. I would go straight for a MacBook Pro, but it's just that I'm not used to the OS, which I think is Leopard. I'm worried I won't get how Apple's version of Microsoft Office works. That it'll be too confusing or not as easy as MS Office. Can anyone console me about iWork, telling me it's badass and can be compared to Chuck Norris?

I've heard of being able to run Microsoft on MacBooks but if I wanted to run Microsoft I would've bought a Microsoft product.

Price is no object by the way, my mum pays for everything. And I live in the UK, so I'll be using GBP.

Also, how common are MacBooks in Med School? It'll be weird being the only one presenting stuff in Keynote, while other use Powerpoint.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people have office for mac and a lot of people have Macbooks in med school. Office for mac is very similar to Office for Windows. I've never used anything besides office so I can't tell you anything about it.

Hey guys, I wanted to know what a good laptop would be for Med School.

Right now I'm looking at a MacBook Pro, Sony Vaio and Dell XPS. I would go straight for a MacBook Pro, but it's just that I'm not used to the OS, which I think is Leopard. I'm worried I won't get how Apple's version of Microsoft Office works. That it'll be too confusing or not as easy as MS Office. Can anyone console me about iWork, telling me it's badass and can be compared to Chuck Norris?

I've heard of being able to run Microsoft on MacBooks but if I wanted to run Microsoft I would've bought a Microsoft product.

Price is no object by the way, my mum pays for everything. And I live in the UK, so I'll be using GBP.

Also, how common are MacBooks in Med School? It'll be weird being the only one presenting stuff in Keynote, while other use Powerpoint.
You'll be fine with a Mac in med school. I use one at my school and I have no problems with it.

You can always use Office for Mac or you can get iWork both will work fine and you can still exchange files with classmates and read all the files that they send out. I actually just deleted Office because I didn't like it very much and use iWork exclusivly now.

I say get the Mac and you'll thank yourself. Looking around the classroom its about 20% mac's here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a tablet. It is fantastic and very useful.

People fear OSX for some reason. It takes about a week to comfortably transition over. You are so used to doing ridiculous things with windows that only take 1 step with osx.

I have office for mac. I don't really like it much, but the new version is supposed to be better. I actually use the cheap apple software more.

People fear OSX for some reason. It takes about a week to comfortably transition over. You are so used to doing ridiculous things with windows that only take 1 step with osx.

I have office for mac. I don't really like it much, but the new version is supposed to be better. I actually use the cheap apple software more.
I actually wouldn't say the iWork suite is cheap however I do say that the numbers program does need work while I find both the Pages and Keynote programs do preform very well.

For me when I switched in 2002 it took about a month of saying WTF did I do and what did I get myself into but after that month I loathe to use windows. So far I've switched at least 4 people with probably switching more in the future.

The biggest complaint I hear from new Mac users is that they wish they'd switched earlier.

I've used windows all my life (mostly 'cause of previous software/hardware that required PCs..) but I'd probably say go for the Mac. Especially if someone else is paying for it, why not? Good hardware, can still run windows on it if needed, etc.

But you really don't need a lot of "horsepower" or features for a laptop in med school, it's basically going to be your powerpoint, PDF, internet, email, facebook machine... nothing that requires a lot of power.

I guess an argument that could be made for the PC side is if you really want a high end gaming laptop that'll let you play the latest/greatest PC games, then you could go for one of those gaming PC laptops, but for me that would just be a distraction. Get a wii, xbox or something for when you need to chill out and play something.

Here are the features/options I currently find the most important:
- Size: Right now I have an older 14" dell laptop. For me around 14" is the biggest I go in a laptop. Especially if you're going to be carrying it around with you everywhere you study. I see some of these monster 17" laptops and couldn't imagine lugging them around.

- Battery: Good battery life was important for me. On mine the dvd unit is removable and I put in a spare battery, I think I've used the DVD/CD drive on mine like 5 times since I've been in med school so even getting a slim laptop with no built in drive wouldn't be a big issue for me now. Just use a usb drive.

- Hard drive size: Get the most storage space you can when you buy. Especially if you plan on keeping all your music/photos on it.

- Ram: It's nice to have a lot of ram but it's sometimes cheaper to upgrade it yourself later on instead of when you buy. Not sure about with macs though, but that's been my experience with any PC I've bought.

- Other features: Screen resolution --- I've gotten so used to my 1400x1050 high resolution screen on this dell here that I don't think I could go any lower. Bluetooth -- couldn't live without bluetooth either now that I've gotten used to it. I use it daily with my bluetooth mouse, and transferring stuff back and forth from my phone, plus I can connect to the internet through my cell phone without having to connect any other cables.

I personally really like my lenovo thinkpad.

- Ram: It's nice to have a lot of ram but it's sometimes cheaper to upgrade it yourself later on instead of when you buy. Not sure about with macs though, but that's been my experience with any PC I've bought.

I highly recommend getting third-party RAM when buying a Mac. Apple jacks up the prices if you want extra RAM. Buy from sites like Newegg, crucial, or owc (macsales).

After getting used to my tablet, I have to say it blows a conventional laptop away. It's all I need to take to class. All I need to do is open power point, click on the pen, and start "inking" (writing) on the power points.

It is so much better than paper. And if I need to, I can just print out anyway.

As for Mac v Windows, that is a completely unresolved argument. I've looked at Macs and tried using them. They're okay. But a lot of its users tend to devolve into Mac fanboys, blasting Windows as stupid/lame/whatever. Macs are good for certain things but overall Windows is a better value.

Apple is there selling "lifestyle" computers. Their computers look hip and cool so they demand a strong premium. Apple profits were 25% last quarter. Macs are overpriced compared to what you can buy with a Windows based machine from Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc.

Any competent computer user will never have a problem using Windows XP or Vista. Vista works fine, and as long as you don't do dumb things (just use common sense) your OS will work fine. Plus there is much more software available for Windows based machines. You don't want to pigeonhole yourself into a Mac without software you may need in the future.

You may think "well I will just use it for school." Untrue. Whenever you buy a new computer you need to assume there will be a lot more uses for it then you plan on. When I was debating what tablet to buy, I think I could go without a DVD drive. Nope. I still want to watch DVDs on my tablet, eventhough my tablet is "just for school."

Computers are useful tools. And because they are useful tools you want one that can do more than "just" X or Y. Because of that I'd go with a Windows machine.

And there are far more choices and good deals on Windows machines than Apples, which rarely go on sale and the upgrades on them are just ridiculously overpriced to the point of ridiculousness.

You don't want to pigeonhole yourself into a Mac without software you may need in the future.

"Pigeonhole" how? You can run Windows on a Mac if you really need to. Oddly enough, most of us never need to.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much does Apple charge for Windows? That's how much more. Chances are, like all Apple upgrades, it is an arm and a leg in cost.

You'll pigeonhole yourself because of the added cost (probably a couple hundred) on top of the additional extra cost the Mac is.

I bought my Fujitsu tablet, which is more powerful than the $1300 Macbook for less than $1,000. And like I said, it's a Fujitsu tablet, and with that (the fact it is a tablet) I have far more functionality than a competing Macbook (or a Windows laptop to be fair).

My main gripe is that Apple's are more expensive, ludicrously so. And I am not a fan of Apple's control on their products (just as an example, being unable to change your iPhone battery) and in my opinion Apple presents the public with outdated stuff (again like iPhone EDGE) when better technology exists. And they present it like it is wiz-bang new.

Look at the Air and compare than to the Lenovo equivalent. The Lenovo, cheaper, is far more versatile and useful (like having more USB slots :p).

Apple sells a lifestyle computer. It's the "cool" thing to have one. They do look nice and I admire their design.

Bottom line: A better deal, financially, is to get a laptop by one of the major manufacturers. Then you don't have to worry about buying Windows, switching operating systems if you want to run a Windows program, etc. And you get more bang for your buck. Faster processor, more RAM, better graphics, larger hard drive, and larger screen size.

Nothing. You buy Windows from Microsoft.

That's not really a pigeonhole.

Some of us think they're worth it.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I didn't want to get dragged down into a mac vs windows debate simply because well its fruitless. Unless you have used both systems to where you are proficient in each at the same level can you make a comment about your own preferences. I used windows for many many years then switched in '02 haven't looked back.

Most Mac users have used both systems while most PC users haven't. Also just note that the quaterly sales of Apple computer's is more than double the rest of the PC market and I believe that Apple is within the top 5 manufactures for computers while their hardware is still "over priced"

If you look at the revenue stream of Apple and compare it to the #1 seller Dell, you'll see that Apple has a higher margin while Dell is barely breaking even on each sale. This doesn't include the fact that Dell's market capitalization is dwarfed by Apple and Apple's value comtinues to climb.

Eventually many, but not all, of the kids today who buy Apple iPods and iPhones will buy an computer made by Apple and realize that there is an alternative to windows and embrace it.

I ask this one last question, how come there are thousands of stories of people switching to Mac's whereas I have not heard of one story of a Mac user switching to windows?

There are no low end Mac notebooks. That's the only difference. The MBA is overpriced, but so are a vast majority of its class. We'll see how overpriced the MB/MBP will be when they are updated very soon.

PCs are great for building your own gaming system or for the person that is proficient with computers but wants configurability. There is a growing number of people who get their parents Macs because they tire of having to tell them how to run anti spyware/virus programs all the time and fixing problems with them. I'm not saying Macs never have problems, but when they do it is pretty easily remedied. If not, an Apple store usually isn't too far away and since Apple runs every portion of the hardware/software experience its a one-stop shop to being fixed.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I didn't want to get dragged down into a mac vs windows debate simply because well its fruitless. Unless you have used both systems to where you are proficient in each at the same level can you make a comment about your own preferences. I used windows for many many years then switched in '02 haven't looked back.

Most Mac users have used both systems while most PC users haven't. Also just note that the quaterly sales of Apple computer's is more than double the rest of the PC market and I believe that Apple is within the top 5 manufactures for computers while their hardware is still "over priced"

If you look at the revenue stream of Apple and compare it to the #1 seller Dell, you'll see that Apple has a higher margin while Dell is barely breaking even on each sale. This doesn't include the fact that Dell's market capitalization is dwarfed by Apple and Apple's value comtinues to climb.

Eventually many, but not all, of the kids today who buy Apple iPods and iPhones will buy an computer made by Apple and realize that there is an alternative to windows and embrace it.

I ask this one last question, how come there are thousands of stories of people switching to Mac's whereas I have not heard of one story of a Mac user switching to windows?

This is opinion mostly, but what separate Appkle fanboyism and Apple hate or Windows fanboyism and Windows hate is how you justify your opinion:

Well you don't want to make an accusation until you ask: I've used Macs. Not to the point of buying one, but I have spent considerable time using them (family, friends, school, etc). They're okay, but I don't see their system as any more intuitive than a Windows machine. Personally I though it less so. And the lack of that right click button... bah!

Apple's market share is about 10% worldwide. They make products which are well-marketed and well-designed (asthetically). People want cool looking things.

When I bought my Creative Zen MP3 about 15 months ago it had more functions (and was cheaper) than the competing iPod. Apple releases products for a premium and using last generation technology. The iPhone EDGE was the perfect example. EDGE was outdated and touchscreen already existed and there are phones on the market which are better than the iPhone, but the iPhone is so well-marketed people think it is the ****z.

And same with their iPods. Hell, they still lack AM/FM tuners which sell for $50... and microphones last I check... which again sell for extra. See a pattern?

I believe the same thing occurs with their laptops as well. Price them out and the Apple is more expensive for less. I priced out similar Dell v Apple and the Apple was $300 more expensive. Roughly 30%.

The Apple protection plans are also about 30% more expensive for a year less of service (3 versus 4 for Dell).

Is it "worth it"? Maybe. But for $1300 you can also buy a tablet, which I am a proponent of over a normal laptop which can handle all school realted functions.

Apples are "worth it" if you know nothing about computing and are irresponsible when downloading (since few viruses exist for Apples). But if you are a common sense users of a computer, don't go and download everything and anything, then there really isn't anything making an Apple "worth it" over a casual Windows/PC user.

The average students is not going to need the graphics functionality or video editing (which I think Apple does very well) and will really just need the associated programs associated with MS Office. So is paying 25 to 50% more for a less powerful machine "worth it" when those programs you will use will run perfectly on a far cheaper (and probably more powerful) Windows based machine? Not in my opinion.

But again, tablet tablet tablet! Apple is coming out with a slate, supposedly... but it will probably be well over $2,000 and underpowered.

Mac mouses and trackpads have had two buttons for years now. The lack of radio on iPods can be annoying if you absolutely need it, but you have an MP3 player. The point of it is so you don't have to listen to radio. Do you mean a microphone or headphones? What are you going to use a microphone for. If you mean headphones it does come with the earbuds, but they are pretty poorly designed (see how many knots you can get in it by just putting them in your bag.) :p

Apple/AT&T used Edge because their 3G wasn't ready yet plus the battery life was horrendous. It is still poor across the board on all smartphones but the iPhone is much better than the other 3G phones.

As for Dell vs. Apple, are you comparing education prices? Did this Dell include Bluetooth 2.0/Wireless N? Larger battery to match the life of the MB? What I'm seeing on many of Dell's notebooks is a warranty that you have to add 170 to the price of the notebook for a 3 year warranty in the ed store. With the MB it is 183 in the ed store. In fact, for the inspiron 1420 with run of the mill Vista it comes at $1183 with the 2.4 GHz processor, X3100, 1 year standard warranty, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 14.1" display, wireless N, Bluetooth 2.0. The Midrange MB with all of those things comes at $1199, you get a free iPod touch or iPod Nano which you can sell if you'd like, and last you get $100 to a printer. Which is a better deal?

I'd like to see the link to this Dell you are seeing and then compare it in a few weeks when new MBs come out to see the price for value comparison for the technology you get.

Last edited:
Is there really a lot of stuff in med school that you'd need to write on a Tablet screen? I've always been under the impression that I can just type all of my notes... and if that's an option, then I'd definitely prefer it b/c I type must faster than I write.

The tablet is handy because you can draw diagrams. Think about all the pathways, algorithms, flow charts, etc. You can type, but it's very difficult to draw.

The beauty of the convertible tablet is that you can type like a regular laptop, then pull out your stylus and draw right on your screen (without even folding the screen down). It's wonderful for use in-class.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I used to have a tablet during part of my undergrad and it was great for organic chem, but I preferred typing in just about every other class. Is there a significant amount of diagram-drawing in med school?

Yeah, that's what I figured. I used to have a tablet during part of my undergrad and it was great for organic chem, but I preferred typing in just about every other class. Is there a significant amount of diagram-drawing in med school?
The alternative is having going old school and just using a piece of paper or making notes of what diagrams you drew in class and coming back to them later.

Really depends on your study style. There are a few students in my class who have tablets and I saw them use them quite a bit during anatomy to write notes on our powerpoint presentations, but not sure how much they use them now.

I would think that if typical take a lot of notes on your computer and/or look at a lot of powerpoint presentations that being able to write/draw using a tablet could be really helpful.

For me personally I don't take a whole lot of notes to begin with, and when I do I prefer old fashioned pen/paper if I have to draw some pathway or something. I don't really like reading from a computer screen.

So think about how you study/learn and see if it makes sense for you. And the curriculum could also play a part. My school is all PBL so we don't have powerpoint lectures, we pretty much just read the textbooks and even then I don't really take notes. I'll just do some highlighting in my books and MAYBE take some handwritten notes.