Good Luck Wish To All Of You

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disenchanted 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know MCAT is about a week away and I know you guys are probably freaking out. Anyway, I just wanted to wish all of you guys good luck. I was there last year and I know how stressful it can be. But just be confident and calm.....actually here are some tips that helped me. I hope it helps you too,

1) Do not cram the last week....study with a calm head and do not STRESS....if you haven't done a major section stressing about it and cramming it will not help!
2) drink and eat very healthy (for me I had lots of OJ and apple)
3) Review formulas in physics (usually at the end of physics books or princeton/kaplan physics review book)
4) Do couple of verbal passages....the topics you enjoy and again dont take in a stressed out state..
5) Look at the bright side of things and focus on those....look at this as a challenge that you wanna beat not as a disaster
6) Do not have too much coffee or caffeine.......it makes you lose your concentration and it makes you less able to absorb the material....again go for OJ
7) DO NOT try and *raise* your score in verbal by cramming it and doing a gazillion passages.....YOU CANNOT improve verbal in one week.......the best suggestion is just reading couple of passages that you ENJOY rather than cramming....
8) If you have done summary pages/diagrams go over those....as they help embed the material in your mind
9) Do not study the day or two before........it only causes stress and panic and further anxiety.....rather do what you love and sleep EARLY the night before.......i am talking about 10 or 11 the latest
10) RELAX....this is just a test and one phase of your hurdles in your path to med school........if you score high then wonderful and if you dont, DO NOT stress it there is plenty of people who got in with lower MCAT scores.....(like myself)...Dont stress out if you dont get the magical 30...there are plenty of schools who's avg MCAT score are lower than 30.

BOTTOM LINE: Most schools whether people here make it sound that way or not look at the whole applicant. You are NOT the sum of your GPA and MCAT score. My own and several friends' experience has confirmed this. So if you are a well rounded applicant with not so perfect MCAT score, it will not hurt you as long as you have qualities or a GPA that *make* up for it (of course this might be applied much less for the top 10 or 20 schools).....they like to have students who are in addition to hard working and intellectual, are also social, compassionate and possess a lot of qualities that they can only be determine in an INTERVIEW (maturity, interactive skills, personableness) .....

Well just thought to stop by and wish you all the best luck in the world....HAVE CONFIDENCE....that is the best medicine I can think of.....and here is my favorite quote....

If you dont have faith in yourself, dont expect others to have faith in you!!

;) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the tips and the encouragement disenchanted! I hope to see you in Galveston next year!

Originally posted by elee20
Thanks for the tips and the encouragement disenchanted! I hope to see you in Galveston next year!

I certainly hope so;) Just hang in there and remember if you get your interview send me a pm....I will definitely try and help you!!

thanks. I'm planning on cramming a few more htings this last week, and on my way home today i felt the beginnings of a brief panic type feeling. I just need to chill, breath, and realize that i've done this 5 times b4 (practice runs), i can score 30s.... Just need to go in there, and do my best ;)

Good luck Everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I love your concern and encouragement. I would be proud to either be a patient of yours or to work side by side with you. We all needed that extra boost. Thank you for taking the time to do that. It means a lot to us.

buomyta said:
I love your concern and encouragement. I would be proud to either be a patient of yours or to work side by side with you. We all needed that extra boost. Thank you for taking the time to do that. It means a lot to us.
Aww, thanks buomyta as well as CanIMakeIt, Onmywaythere, and DrSal- I also hope to be working along side you guys next year....hopefully I can see some of you guys at Galveston next year....

By the way, if any of you guys are applying there and would need help next year dont forget to PM me.....I might be able to help and if not hopefully some of my classmates might.

Again hang in there.....I know how hard it can be as right now the stress, anxiety, apathy, and hopelessness get in the way....but remember next week this time you will be kicking some a$$.....And even if you are not one of those top scorers or *above 30* scorers (which to be honest w/you I dont see what is the big deal with the 30 score unless you are in cal or are applying to JH) then so what big deal.....MCAT is just one of the hurdles that you must pass. There are so many other things that qualify you as an applicant and I am sure this pool of applicants mostly have that. So you have already came this far and you have already passed most of what lies ahead of you...the next phase is just waiting and waiting some more. So relax and have confidence in yourself. when I applied every odds was against me especially my MCAT which was LOW!! but look at my story...I went in thinking I wouldnt get one interview......I got three and actually got accepted to my 1 choice. So nothing is impossible if you have faith in yourself.

Wishing you guys the best of luck again and let us all know how you did.