good molec cell, genetics book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coconut lime

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i took step 1 last year and did well, but i'm trying to help my fiancee prepare this year. i think there is a lot more molecular & cell bio and genetics on the exam, which FA doesn't prepare you for. i didn't use anything additional to study this particular topic, but in retrospect, i think it would have been helpful. can anyone recommend a good book for this topic? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

coconut lime said:
i took step 1 last year and did well, but i'm trying to help my fiancee prepare this year. i think there is a lot more molecular & cell bio and genetics on the exam, which FA doesn't prepare you for. i didn't use anything additional to study this particular topic, but in retrospect, i think it would have been helpful. can anyone recommend a good book for this topic? thanks!

High Yield Molecular Biology. Know it cold!

From what I've heard, I've also noticed that more molecular biology is going into the test questions. I think that this may be because they are trying to make the questions more multi-disciplinary, and it is easier to test on molecular correlates than other subjects (since the question-writers are most often academic individuals with expertise in molecular aspects of their disease - and not necessarily the anatomy!).

Members don't see this ad :)
OneStrongBro said:

I definitely second that one! I asked several students that scored >240 in my school and they all swore by that book as far as molec bio is concerned. I also talked to one girl that got more than 30 molec bio questions dispersed throughout the exam :( Hope that helped :)

OneStrongBro said:

I took step 1 last summer, and got more molecular bio questions than I ever expected... :scared: HY is the book that helped me most to get through this subject. Best of luck!!!