Good Musculoskeletal programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gtone20

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any info/advice/links on PM&R programs that put focus on musculoskeletal and sports rehab? I understand that all residency programs will address these on some level, but I am interesting in finding programs who have reputations for good teaching in these areas. Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Of the programs I interviewed at Mayo, UVa, and possibly Utah were some of the stronger in sports and MSK. I'm at Mayo and would be happy to answer any questions about our program. There was a 12/05 post on scutwork.com that nicely outlines the Virginia program with some specifics about sports coverage.

From personal experience, I can attest to the very high quality of the MSK training at both UMDNJ/Kessler (Malanga, Bowen, Mulford, Yonclas, Stitik, Foye, Rempson, Beer, Malhotra, Ma, amongst others) and RIC (Press, Plastaras, Lento, Rittenberg, Ihm, Fonda, Kim, Fitzgerald, Fraley, Smeal, amongst others)

By reputation, the Mayo Clinic is extremely highly regarded for their sports and MSK training (Smith, Newcomer, Ganter, Butters, Leskowski, etc).

I cannot speak for the overall quality of the sports and MSK training of other programs. However, I can comment on some of the quality mentors at other institutions:

U of Washington- Stan Herring, Stu Weinstein, Mark Harrast, Andy Cole, amongst many other superstars

Stanford- Mike Fredericson

Virginia- Bob Wilder

Baylor- John Cianca has a strong reputation, but I don't know to what extent he is affiliated with the program these days

UC-Davis- Brian Davis

Johns Hopkins- Brian Krabak

Utah- Stu Willick

Colorado- Venu Akothota, Bill Sullivan

--------

If I were applying today as a resident, and the quality of sports and MSK training was my top priority, my clear top 4, in no particular order, would be UMDNJ/Kessler, RIC, Mayo, and Washington. I plead ignorance on the quality of some other programs- e.g., Baylor and Michigan and Ohio State all have strong reputations, but I do not have personal information on their clinical mentors