good places for families?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tv1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I would love it if someone could help me compile a list of IM programs with a decent-to-great reputation that is also a good safe location for kids/families etc...

Most of these would probably be in smaller cities/towns but i might be overlooking some that are really easy to live outside the city and then commute it...

thanks so much for all your help!

ex: Mayo, WVU, Vandy (?), U of Iowa?

Members don't see this ad.

I consider the durham/chapel hill area as a nice place to raise a family...so I'd add UNC and Duke to that list.

many of the boston suburbs have excellent schools, like brookline, newton, waltham; all good places to live. However, cost of living is a bit steep out here, and the boston city public schools themselves are not good. Can't go wrong with any of the Boston programs..

If you prefer more rural areas Dartmouth and UVM are very nice. Both Portland, ME (Maine Medical Center), and Portland, Oregon (OHSU and Providence Portland) are also reputed to be great places for kids.

Members don't see this ad :)
irlandesa said:
many of the boston suburbs have excellent schools, like brookline, newton, waltham; all good places to live. However, cost of living is a bit steep out here, and the boston city public schools themselves are not good. Can't go wrong with any of the Boston programs..

If you prefer more rural areas Dartmouth and UVM are very nice. Both Portland, ME (Maine Medical Center), and Portland, Oregon (OHSU and Providence Portland) are also reputed to be great places for kids.
Hey Irlandesa, what are good neighborhoods in Boston to find a decent house with decent schools for future kids? I know Brookline. Any others? Or towns with decent commuting to Boston?

Pili said:
Hey Irlandesa, what are good neighborhoods in Boston to find a decent house with decent schools for future kids? I know Brookline. Any others? Or towns with decent commuting to Boston?

Brookline is family friendly but very pricey. My wife and I lived in a row-house development in Chestnut Hill that was teeming with young families, most of whom were working at Harvard, Longwood and MIT. West Roxbury is family friendly but more urban; it's up and coming, and may now be pricey as well in the last 3 years since we lived in the area. Cost of living and tight after-training job market were major deterrants to ranking Boston programs soley to live in Boston.

We are now interns at Mayo and really enjoy some of the perks that make Rochester a very good place to raise a family. The program is very supportive, all residents get free on-campus covered garage parking, I'm told by a number of people that daycare is RELATIVELY plentiful and the PUBLIC school systems are the best in the state and nationally competitive. For HALF of what we were paying for a one bedroom apartment in Boston, we have a mortgage on a 4-bedroom house on a 1/3 acre lot with a 2 car attached garage.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about specifics of the Medicine program!

Couldn't fit in Mayo, but I agree. Minnesota is a great place to raise kids and have a family. Mayo is such a great training program, hard to beat for resources and facilities. There is a reason it has such a great reputation.