Good places to apply as a nontraditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbridge514

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm applying this year and am not sure which schools to apply to (I applied to 27 last cycle and am waitlisted at two places). I want to get the ball rolling and apply again this year, but I can't afford to apply to as many as I did last time, so any recommendations on schools that are open to nontrads and premeds with a teaching background?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're not going to get a helpful response based on that criteria alone. To best narrow down your list of schools for this application cycle, it'd be helpful to know your GPA, MCAT scores, state of residence, and your distribution of schools this past cycle.

Hey all,

I'm applying this year and am not sure which schools to apply to (I applied to 27 last cycle and am waitlisted at two places). I want to get the ball rolling and apply again this year, but I can't afford to apply to as many as I did last time, so any recommendations on schools that are open to nontrads and premeds with a teaching background?

Thanks!

This is purely anecdotal, so take it with a boulder of salt, but in my experience, UVM, OHSU, and BU had their share.

Members don't see this ad :)
At pretty all my interviews I met at least 1 or 2 non-trad candidates. I think the oldest one wasin his late twenties, and there were a mix of backgrounds including people who did Teach for America, started there own business, or worked in freelance photography. Point being that most schools are open to non-trads as long as they are strong applicants. Your best bet for more detailed info is to get in touch with the pre-med advisor of your alma mater. They should still be able to help you, and will likely have a better idea of any non-trad biases at the achool level.

I'm a non-trad as well. I applied to 10 schools this year, several in my home state and a few in states where I either have strong family ties or believed the schools would be open to me as an applicant. I have some bad grades from a million years ago that bring my GPA down....but my MCAT is pretty high, so I am hoping that will make the difference! Good luck to everyone!

This is purely anecdotal, so take it with a boulder of salt, but in my experience, UVM, OHSU, and BU had their share.

I also concur that UVM is a highly "non-trad" school - from my interview alone there were applicants from 12 different states and all walks of life (22 year old senior in college vs. married and 3 kids at age 33). Truly a diverse student body! Also, it was a great program, just not one that I fit into :)

Edit: I also forgot to mention...SHOW interest with UVM. Call them once everything gets rolling. They love applicants who show interest, within reason.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Thanks!
are you from Wisconsin? the average age of accepted applicants this year (as of March) was 25.