good psych reference book for MS3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shariq786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

any rec's for a good psych reference book for light reading in third year, i know about the first aid for psych clerkship and i have the Kaplan and Saddocks beast, which i will likely use more in residency. Any help?

tks

Members don't see this ad.

The Massachusetts General Hospital/McLean Hospital Residency Handbook of Psychiatry

It's great for light reading and the wards.

First Aid for the Psychiatry Clerkship is actually pretty good. Especially the section on pharmacology. Most things in that chapter WILL be on your shelf. Also personality disorders, DSM criteria for the various mood disorders vs psychotic disorders, and anything that's hard to tell apart.

Is it Acute Stress Disorder or PTSD? What's the difference? Is it Depression with Psychosis or Schizoaffective? What's the difference? That kinda stuff.

Drugs of abuse, overdose syndromes, and such are also hot topics I'd be SURE to look at.

Members don't see this ad :)
yup it was great for the shelf but i mean something more for elecs

hey guys,

any rec's for a good psych reference book for light reading in third year, i know about the first aid for psych clerkship and i have the Kaplan and Saddocks beast, which i will likely use more in residency. Any help?

tks

Ugh, I hate Kaplan/Saddock and would avoid it personally. I like Gabbard's psych text (the one published by APA's publishing arm) the best.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Psychiatric-Publishing-Textbook-Psychiatry/dp/1585622575/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354661951&sr=1-6&keywords=psychiatry+gabbard

There's also a condensed one volume version but the 2 volume one is better.