good quality non academic programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

johnnywalker

pepper needs new shorts
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If a resident doesnt care for research participation, what are some good quality less research based cards fellowship programs. I'd like to be in a major city of some sort as well, but i'd look anywhere....thanks for the input
 
I hear that Beaumont (which is outside Detroit, MI) is a great cardiology program, especially for those interested in interventional and EP.
 
definitely cedars in LA and Oschsner in New Orleans
some people also consider Texas Heart 'non-academic'
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also heard that Ochsner is good if you want to do interventional; I probably wouldn't go there for other stuff (well, perhaps EP? I don't know).
 
Quite a few of the interventional programs are 2 years, at least if they also want to teach peripheral interventions...aren't they?
After having rotated in the cath lab, I can understand why. There's a crapload of stuff to learn and I'm not sure it could be learned adequately in just one year.
 
Quite a few of the interventional programs are 2 years, at least if they also want to teach peripheral interventions...aren't they?
After having rotated in the cath lab, I can understand why. There's a crapload of stuff to learn and I'm not sure it could be learned adequately in just one year.

From what I understand most interventional fellowships are one year. I do not think it is necessary to do a 2 year program to get credentialed for peripherals.

I think (not 100% sure about this) that up to one of Oschner's two years is spent doing research. I'm not saying it's not a good program or anything, just that it's an extra year that's not wholly spent in the cath lab.

-The Trifling Jester